Rat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_7446.jpg

I'm at work and my boyfriend just mailed me this picture of Brian. His ear was perfectly fine yesterday but this morning it looks like this and apparently he seems puffed up. Could it be dried blood or does this look like any other type of rat condition?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Looks like blood to me. I'd guess he had an abscess, scab, or mites and he scratched till it bled.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I'm eager to get home to see what it is. In the meanwhile I've asked my boyfriend if he can gently wipe the ear with damp cloth to see if comes off. Brian is sleeping at the moment though.

I am wondering if he did it as a reaction to stress. Last night there was a malfunction with the Civil Defence Alarm in the area (modern day air raid siren) and it went off continuously for about 20 minutes. That thing was ear-splittingly loud. A person couldn't be outside without ear protection it was so bad. Brian and his cage mates were out on the sofa at the time and ran and hid from fright. Perhaps it bothered him so much he scratched himself very hard. We'll see anyway when I get home...

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
That looks very odd, very much like tiny blood blisters, not so much like scratch marks or mites. I would probably get him checked out at the vet, incase its a symptom of something not being right elsewhere. It might be one off rash but could be a sign of something systemic going on. Also check his skin under his fur for anything similar

·
Registered
874 Posts
Looks like dried blood, if he's puffed up, maybe there was an altercation of sorts? Doubt mites could just turn up out of nowhere. Could be wrong. Let us know.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, he doesn't stay still long enough to inspect it thoroughly and he is one of the adopted boys and still skittish, but it seems that he has suffered a scratch in his ear. He's eating, drinking and behaving as normal so hopefully it will heal without problem.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
1412878321698.jpg

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How's your boy Ratbag? Hopefully healing fast and no more altercations?
Hi, thanks for asking. He was sleeping when I left for work this morning but he seemed his normal self until I went to bed last night. His two cagemates (who are father and son) had a fight about three weeks ago (inside a sputnik so it was hard to break up!) which resulted in the father, Dougal having the whole side of his face sliced open. When he turned his head it opened like a book, it was horrific. We rushed him to the vet thinking he would need stitching up but they said nothing needed to be done, it should heal on its own. Within 10 days it was as good as new, so hopefully the same goes for Brian's ear which isn't even half as serious looking as Dougal's injury.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Oh jeez one of my rats got an injury like that on his belly - they look a lot worse than they actually are. Frightened the heck out of me at the time, I was shaking! I cleaned it with saline and applied some manuka honey on it and by morning it had knitted together. The vet said it looked as of my rat has stiched himself up in the night! It's amazing how quick rats heal up. Hope your boy feels better soon :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts