Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just noticed something strange on Buddy. He has this one thick, kinda hard, brown hair on his side. (He's light gray) At first I thought it was something stuck to his fur, but upon inspection it's only this one hair and it goes all the way down to the root. I tried to get a picture but he wouldn't hold still long enough. It feels considerably thicker then his normal fur, probably 4-5x as thick, and crusty. It's multiple shades of brown, kinda like a mole on a human. It's about twice as long as the rest of his fur. It's the same weird color all the way down to his skin, and when I pull on it he flinches.

Could this be some sort of parasite or something sticking out of his skin? Or is it just a wierd hair? Should I take him to the vet? Should I pluck it? Or should I just leave it alone?

Anyone seen anything like this before?

·
Registered
28 Posts
You should post a picture, Ive seen hairs similar on dogs and my told me it was normal but I cant remember what they called it for the life of me! I hope someone more knowledgeable can chime in with a better answer. It doesn't sound like a parasite to me though

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I othught it was just something stuck to his fur at first, but it's just one hair and the discoloration goes all the way to the skin. Like it's growing out of him that way.

Could something under the skin cause a single hair to grow weird like that? Honestly it looks, and feels, like some sort of small worm or something that's why I asked about parasites. I'm afraid to just yank it out or cut it, because I'm not sure what exactly it is or how it's attached.

·
Registered
835 Posts
thats odd... maybe you should take him to the vet just to make sure it's okay to pluck it?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I actually get one of those in my beard. So I know what that link is referring to. The weird thing about the one on buddy is the color and feel. It was kinda like a scab, but a hair.

In any case I was checking him this morning and it's gone. So he must have removed it himself or it fell off. I'll keep and eye on it and if it comes back I'll ask the vet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts