Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rat Baz is making this weird sort of woofling noise other than that he appears to be fine. I've never heard a rat make that kind of noise.
Been trying to get a good sound clip of it but my niece and nephew always scream and yell in the background and you can't hear it very well.
It sort of sounds like when you wiggle a piece of metal only a little deeper.

Is this something I should be worried about?

I'll try and get a sound clip when the kids go to bed.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Re: Weird Noise

Any noise like that is a cause for concern and could indicate the start of a URI (upper respiratory infection). You need to keep an eye on him for other signs of illness (eyes or nose with too much porphryin, lethargy, laboured breathing, puffed up fur and half-closed eyes, hunched posture, not eating or drinking like normal). Can you lift him up so that his side (lung) is against your ear (tell the kids to be quiet for 1 minute ;)) and listen for any crackly or gurgly sounds? This is called Rat Phone. Do it on both sides. You should only hear his heart beat and whooshing sounds of breathing. Any more than that and you may have a problem.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

No crackly or gurgly sounds, just normal heart beat and breathing.
He's as active as he always is, though he was pretty lazy to begin with.
Nose and eyes are fine and he's eating fine.
I'll still be keeping an eye on him of course.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts

SammyNova said:
No crackly or gurgly sounds, just normal heart beat and breathing.
He's as active as he always is, though he was pretty lazy to begin with.
Nose and eyes are fine and he's eating fine.
I'll still be keeping an eye on him of course.
you got it covered then :)

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
What is his posture and attitude when he is doing this? Does he look happy and content? I wonder if he chortles when he bruxes? I first thought it was in his nose but its much too regular.

It almost sounds like the ultrasonic communication that rats do but weirdly we can hear it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myuceywaOUs

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He looks happy to me. He does it when he plays, he does it when he investigates things, and he does it when he sits at the cage door waiting for me to let him out.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Our girl Willow does the same thing. We always say she's "chattering". She does it when shes being playful or when she's in full investigate mode. Nothing is wrong with her at all, she simply makes this adorable sound when she's having a good time.

lilspaz is probably right. We're probably not supposed to be able to hear that, but they have unusually low voices. Heheh.

·
Registered
18 Posts
ive been searching online for a couple of days trying to get to the bottom of this, coz one of mine is exactly the same... like yours, mine is otherwise in great health, and she does it when she's investigating or playing.

Many thanks for posting the sound sammynova - panic over. Phew!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts