Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my rat, Rizzo is about a year and a half old. Her sister passed away about 2 months ago very suddenly. She has been pretty lethargic since but still has a very healthy appetite. She is starting to let me pet her again. (She never really liked coming out of the cage)
She makes squeaky noises sometimes that can last for a few minutes. Think about the sound you can make when rubbing your finger on your teeth. Its that kind of noise. But she doesnt do it all the time and doesnt seem to be uncomfortable. No back hunching, squinting, scratching, droopy ears, loss of appetite or anything. She still pops her head out of her hammock when she hears me approach so she can get her snacks.
Im not sure what this is. She tends to do it more when I am talking to or interacting with the boys I got about a month ago. They were planned before my other female passed and are kept in separate cages not directly next to each other but close.
Im concerned about her in case she maybe does have some sort of respiratory infection. Im trying to keep her cage clean but its hard to clean everything when she wont come out.
Any suggestions or ideas? Home remedies? I would like to avoid traumatizing her by having to drag her to the vet.

·
Registered
759 Posts
It sounds like she is just communicating.Some rats are very vocally expressive.Chutney makes squeaks like you describe when I pet or play with her,especially when she is in heat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I was thinking that may be the case since she is completely fine otherwise and doesnt do it all th time. I think she realized when she does it she gets my attention. Haha.
But to be safe I got some stuff to add to her water that’s supposed to help with respiratory issues and prevent them and got a hot air humidifier for their area. Thanks for the reassurance 😀

·
Registered
Rats, rats, rats!
80 Posts
So my rat, Rizzo is about a year and a half old. Her sister passed away about 2 months ago very suddenly. She has been pretty lethargic since but still has a very healthy appetite. She is starting to let me pet her again. (She never really liked coming out of the cage)
She makes squeaky noises sometimes that can last for a few minutes. Think about the sound you can make when rubbing your finger on your teeth. Its that kind of noise. But she doesnt do it all the time and doesnt seem to be uncomfortable. No back hunching, squinting, scratching, droopy ears, loss of appetite or anything. She still pops her head out of her hammock when she hears me approach so she can get her snacks.
Im not sure what this is. She tends to do it more when I am talking to or interacting with the boys I got about a month ago. They were planned before my other female passed and are kept in separate cages not directly next to each other but close.
Im concerned about her in case she maybe does have some sort of respiratory infection. Im trying to keep her cage clean but its hard to clean everything when she wont come out.
Any suggestions or ideas? Home remedies? I would like to avoid traumatizing her by having to drag her to the vet.
So Rizzo doesn’t have any companions, and she vocalizes when you are interacting with the boys…? I’m not a rat psychologist, but I’d be wouldn’t surprised if Rizzo is extremely lonely and when she hears the boys getting attention she wants to be a part of it. She probably really misses having a rat companion and gets worked up about these other rats who are near by but inaccessible. Is she spayed, or are the boys neutered? How big are the boys? If Rizzo is spayed, she might be able to be intro’d to the boys and have a better quality of life. Lone rats are lonely rats...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts