Rat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my boyfriend bought a rat at a pet store today (it's not our first one), and the owner of the pet store told us what kind of rat it was, but we can't remember what it's called. We'd never heard of it before. We've looked on google and everything, but we can't figure it out.

It was a something mountain rat, but it's face looks like a spiny mouse. It doesn't have spines or anything, though.

If you don't know what a spiny mouse looks like, here's a picture of one of ours:

(Sorry the pic was so big the first time).

It has the big eyes and long face like the spiny mouse in the picture.

It's grey and white, too, in case that matters, and it's a little larger than a spiny mouse.

Does anyone know what it is?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Palawan Soft-Furred Mountain Rat was all I could find, but I doubt it, because this is an endangered species...your spiny mouse is precious, by the way!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
ratty1100 i looked at the link, heres what happened: i was talking to my little sister saying we were gonna watch charlotte's web and if she didn't like it we'd ahhahhhhh awwwwwwwwww (i had turned my head to see the picture and sat with my mouth open for half a minute) then my sister (only 2 years old) looks at me like im completely insane (which i am)

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
can you get a picture of the rat in question? we might be better able to help that way. or, you could just call the store back and ask for name of the rat type.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. That seems like what he is. I just don't know why the guy at the pet store told us it was something else. I'll probably call him tomorrow to see what he said it was.

·
Registered
722 Posts
So I walked into the pet store in town today (I was told that they had an adorable sugar glider, which I had to go meet!), and they had "African Soft Furred Rats" in there! I'm almost positive that they're the same thing as Natal rats. I almost went home with a couple of them... until I remembered how horrible that shop is at sexing animals. But the guy at the shop said that they are more like mice than rats... weird! I'll be sure to post the pictures that I took of them when I get them onto my computer!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
African Soft-Furred Rats and Natal rats are the same thing, far as I'm aware.

And beware that they can sometimes be more bitey and not as friendly as Norway rats, and likely shouldn't be kept with Norway rats.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts