Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , Just a quick question to ask if anyone elses rat makes a weird snorting noise when their playing ? It almost sounds like a sneeze but just sounds like shes blowing through her nose and sometimes she sprays me with snot.
It doesnt happen all that often , it was worse when i first got her.
Other than that she seems totally fine.

·
Registered
227 Posts
She might have a respiratory problem. It sound like she might be a bit blocked up, and by playing it's exasperating the condition. Also, if she's snorting up snot (not just that little wetness you might get when they sneeze), there's a good chance she's ill.

I would advise taking her to a vet. If it is respiratory, they should be able to give you meds that will take care of the problem.

Honestly though, it could just be her snorting at you. I'm not 100% positive either way, but it couldn't hurt to have her checked up.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ill get her to the vet right away , shes been doing it since I got her but then it stopped for a while, so I think better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
20 Posts
One of my rats does the same thing. She sounds like a little pig and only really does it when she gets worked up playing with her sisters, running around or is stressed out. So basically, whenever she starts breathing hard. When she's on antibiotics, as she is right now, she stops making the noise. So its probably a respiratory infection.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts