Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Sounds like a hiccup. They seem to get the hiccups a lot, especially after they first wake up.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I don't think it sounds like a hiccup, I don't really hear my rats when they hiccup. Sounds like a sneeze to me, a little congested sneeze. Make sure they aren't exposed to any fragrances, the one time My girls sneezed loudly it was because of a blanket that I got from Goodwill that still had fabric softener on it that didn't come off in the wash. May be from the weather, too. I've heard you can do the "rat telephone" and hold them up to your ear to hear their breathing and if it sounds weird/congested I would make an appt to get her checked out by a vet just in case, but she doesn't seem very ill... Just sneezy, I wouldn't worry yourself too much. Maybe wait a couple days to see if it clears up on its own.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think it sounds like a hiccup, I don't really hear my rats when they hiccup. Sounds like a sneeze to me, a little congested sneeze. Make sure they aren't exposed to any fragrances, the one time My girls sneezed loudly it was because of a blanket that I got from Goodwill that still had fabric softener on it that didn't come off in the wash. May be from the weather, too. I've heard you can do the "rat telephone" and hold them up to your ear to hear their breathing and if it sounds weird/congested I would make an appt to get her checked out by a vet just in case, but she doesn't seem very ill... Just sneezy, I wouldn't worry yourself too much. Maybe wait a couple days to see if it clears up on its own.
She seems completely normal other than the sneezing from time to time and she's been in her hammock a little more, but she's still excited to eat her night time snack and all that good stuff.

I did make an appointment for both my babies for today just to make sure all is good and to get them weighed etc. I'm the type of person that will stay up at night and worry if I don't know for sure so it's just easier and better to bring them to a vet who can tell me 100% haha

Thanks to everyone who commented :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts