Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my new boys, seems to sway back on forth for no reason.
I'm thinking an ear infection or something but I would like some more feedback from the community if it wouldn't be too much to ask.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Just his head/shoulders, left to right? It's a visual thing. He's establishing depth. It's normal?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yes, very normal. Because many rats do not have the best vision, it is getting the lay of the land, catching scents and all. One of my rats does it more than the other, but they both do it. I would bet yours also stand up on their hind legs sniffing the air too. Mine do that especially if I have been cooking, or there are other scents in the room.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Does he have pink or red eyes? If so, totally normal. My two PEWs do it, it's actually something I love about them. Kind of adorable :)

If not, and it's something that has just started (how long have you had him? how long has it been going on) it might be something to have check out

·
Registered
195 Posts
hmm... My pink eyed buff boy doesn't do this at all... When do they typically start doing it (at what age?)

·
Registered
6 Posts
They don't necessarily have to have pink eyes. I had a dark-eyed himalayan who did it all the time. Maybe pale fur causes it? With the white fur reflecting light rather than absorbing it like dark fur would, I'd expect pale furred rats to get a sort of glare off their fur and thus worse vision. I've never seen a dark rat do it but I'm sure some do, all rats are different.

Rhonwen: Some don't do it at all, he's fine even if he doesn't do it. They're likely to start pretty early, my himalayan did it from the moment I got him at 4 weeks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts