Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've noticed that Buddy is walking a bit funny. He has a sorta waddle, like he's always straddling something when he's walking. I've felt him for lumps and I couldn't find any. I've read about hind leg degeneration, but that seems to be something that occurs in older ratties. Buddy is only a year old. He also seems to be able to jump up on the couch ok and get up/down the ramps in the DCN, so I don't think he's losing power. It just seems to effect the way he walks/runs. Is there anything else that could cause this? Is there anything I can give him to help? He seems a little less active then usual lately too so it's possible whatever this is is causing him some pain. Is there a pain reliever I could give him safely and see if it helps?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Have you felt his bones and his hips? DJ had a bone tumor I didn't catch, it was all along his hip, his spine, and one back leg. I just put it down to hind leg degeneration (2 1/2 years), but I feel guilty every day thinking about how I missed it.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have felt around, but don't feel any obvious lumps. With no frame of refference I'm not sure what I'm feeling for though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does the waddling sort of seem like a loss of coordination? Have you noticed anything else off like decreasing appetite? It may be a pituitary tumor, 2 of my rats had it and the first thing I noticed was that they were walking funny. You should look up the symptoms of pituitary tumors in rats and check if any of the symptoms apply to your rat.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
He's always been uncoordinated and clumbsy, he doesn't seem any more so now. Although he did randomly jump/fall off the top of the cage a couple weeks ago. I'm not sure what happened, I just heard the clunk and looked over and he was on the floor. I checked him out and he seemed OK, but I guess it possible that's when the waddle started. Maybe he damaged something in his leg/back in the fall? But I only noticed the change in his walk in the last few days.

I don't think he's lost his appetite. He grabs food and eats it on the couch next to me every morning when I let them out. And I haven't noticed any obvious signs of eyesight loss or a head tilt.

If it was such a tumor what's the prognosis?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts