Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was originally gna post about my girl biting lately. She's been biting me under the blanket for no reason and just being nippy. Shes always been a troublemaker but shes be really well behaved since she grew out of her baby phase. Well today I noticed this thing on her neck in the throat area. It's not a fresh or open wound but is a brownish circle. It's a very strange mark almost like a skin flap or a human wart but not quite. It could be an old wound that I somehow didn't notice and is now healing and thats why shes been so nippy the past few days? From pain? Or it could b. new and the biting is really just another sassy problem but its just a thought that itwas the pain. Otherwise i did notice that she chewed my the end of my phone charger cord clear off. Like completely severed the wire from the part that plugs into the phone and it was plugged into the wall. I know....i shouldn't have forgotten to unplug it. But is it possible that when she chewed the cord the charger was touching her throat and burned her? any insight on what this is would be helpful or if it might be a weird tumor or somethingg! I gave her a little pain medicine too cuz it looked painful.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Does she have a cage mate? If so, the underside of the neck is a pretty common place from power grooming nips.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shedoes have 2 cagemates. They usually power groom the back of her ears and cause it to be ver irritated but i did wonder if it happened in one of their little fights. Shes a girl and they are boys and shes going into puberty. The boys are fixed but she tries to mate with them now and it causes drama sometimes. Never real fighting tho. Just alot of tackling nda squeaking. Couldve possibly been an injury from one of the others. But it would be an odd bite mark

·
Registered
966 Posts
Can you get a pic of it? It would be helpful.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cant get pic a cuz shes so small and very difficult to work with but I wrapped her in a blanket and got a good look finally and I think they bit the scab off its a definite puncture wound. A small hole. Shes in a lot of pain cuz she stayed on my shoulder a long time and she only does that when shes sick and she looked like she was in pain in her cage. She was trying to nest in the corner ofmy carpet and actually pulled it up the nail. I wonder if it poked her. I stopped her right away but it's possible. Idk if their tooth wouldve punctured that way. I gave her pain medicine but do u think I need to separate her or take her to the vet at all? Is there something Ican put on it to heal?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Rat teeth are extremely sharp and narrow. If you ever have the misfortune of being bit by one, you'll understand just how bad a tiny little puncture wound can hurt. I don't want to speculate too much since I can't see her, but she may have something else going on besides the bite/wound. Most of the time, wounds like that don't extend to the muscle, especially around the neck area where there's a lot of loose skin. If she continues to look distressed or her condition worsens, you may want to visit a vet just to be safe.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been bitten but its usually 2 sharp marks wwhere the top and bottom bit down. Idk how it would be on hole straight in but it prob is possible i suppose. I just imagined they wouldve bit their teeth together. Also it seems a bit better today so ill just keep an eye on it. I couldnt take her in til monday anyways since its the weekend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts