Rat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to make another emergency trip to the Vet this morning. One of the rats was just very weak and actually was kind of wobbly walking. All he did last night was sleep. The vet said he either has an ear infection--- which I am hoping it is, so he is on anitbotics, or he could have a tumor--- which I hope it isn't, or trauma from a fall which I hope he doesn't have either.

Well please keep my rat in your prayers and good thoughts I would appreciate it so much, I am not ready to lose him yet.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Oh no! This sounds just like what happened to my Fiona!

I know exactly how you feel...I'm thinking of you and your boy. I hope it's just an ear infection.

Here's the thread about my girl, maybe it can help you in some way:
Click here

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well he seems a little better today-- he is moving around more. And ate some melon last night. The one problem is that he won't drink. What can I do to get him to drink something? I suggested to my mom that maybe she should get some ensure maybe he will drink that. He is on Baytril, and I think by tommorrow he should be feeling a lot better. He is still a little wobbly though. Please email me with suggestions at [email protected].

·
Registered
278 Posts
Be careful when giving Ensure, if the animal is dehydrated their body will suck out all the liquid and leave a really thick paste that can cause blockages in the stomach/intestine.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well can I mix it in with the antibotics he is on--- so its not so thick in the syrange( sp?) I just want to make sure that he gets some like liquid--- like water or something. I know with the melon he got some juice--- but I don't want him to become dyhdriated (sp?) maybe some yogurt or something like that too?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He is still very weak. We gave him water in the syrange he

My rat is still very weak. We gave him some ensure from the syrange after we gave him the medicine and then gave him some water in the sryange he drank it. When I looked at him tonight he had a little scratch by his eye don't know what that is from, but if he's not any better by Monday he has to go back. He was crying out whether from pain or not I don't know. I just hope its not a tumor or a trauma from falling. I don't rember him falling at all. We gave him the second dose of Batryil tonight, so hopefully he will be better tommorrow morning. I don't think he is quite as dizzy today either. Please continue prayers and good thoughts. Thank you Please reply. Have any of your rats had a trauma from falling?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Poor guy. :( I don't really have any first hand advice, none of my rats have had any bad falls (yet, knock on wood). You could try to give him a bit of cooked egg, or maybe some boiled chicken... something with protein for strength. My rats don't like ensure very much but they LOVE baby food.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He seems better. He seems to be not as wobbly as he was, but he still seems to be weak, but like I said we are still hopping for the best that he has an ear infection and that he will get better. He seems to be able to lay on his stomach now and not on his side. Also the scratch is gone on the side of He is also drinking water from a syrange--- we just give him as much as he will take. I also put some watermelon in his liitle cage and he ate at least 4 and I put eight in there so I know hes eating some stuff. Also do you think that an antiinflammetry would work as well? My sister read somewhere that might help as well. We called the vet this morning--- so hopefully he will call back later--- he is open till 8 and I told my mom to ask about the antiinflammetory

Please pray for him he needs all the help he can.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Our rat is feeling so much better--- he is now eation and drinking. We still have him in the seperate cage because one of the rats will pick on him. My mom took him to the vet this morning because we were a little worried about the head going around--- but he is just dizzy and he is getting better as well. We thought he was having a seizure this morning, but it was just because he is so dizzy. So now we are giving him food with vitamin B , the vet said that it is a healing food. I am just so happy that is just an ear infection. The vet said if it was an injury to a trauma or if it was tumor he wouldn't be moving around so much. I just thank god that he is doing good. I don't know what I would have done without him. I would just miss him so much

·
Registered
549 Posts
I hope he continues to feel better

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks. He is eating and drinking--- and is getting stronger--- we hope by Tuesday we can put him back in the big cage---we have him in a carrying case so that the little one Koi six months doesn't pick on him. I am so glad he is feeling so much better.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well he is doing much better--- he is eating more and drinking lots. But now there is something wrong with his eye-- not sure why but it is closed and it wasn't like that this morning--- maybe he kind of poked it with his paw I don't know what happened. He is still a lot off a little off balance but he seems to hold his head better. I just don't need anything else happening to him-- I hope he gets better soon. Does anyone know anything about rats eyes?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well he seems to be eating and drinking and we have him in a one level cage--- becuase he is still dizzy somewhat. He still sleeps a lot--- We are not sure if it is an ear infection or not anymore--- but he seems better. I think he is just getting used to his new cage. Also I don't he has gone pee in a couple of days, he seems to drink but I don't think he has gone pee. I am worried about that. We have the water down low and also the plate and the food dish are on the floor, and the dry food is hooked low to the ground so hopefully he can reach it. Please contine to pray for him and I hope he gets well soon. I am so not ready to lose him

Please pray and keep him in your thoughts. :!: :!:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts