Rat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boyfriend and I just broke up because he kept saying rats are gross and was mad that I got 3 more today.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I would probably have done the same thing if I were in your situation. Lol. The one thing I don't like about a significant other in a relationship is if they don't get along and don't want to get along with your animals. I love each of my pets dearly, even my catfish. When I move out of the house all of my animals are coming with me, even that catfish. No if's, ands, or buts. >.>

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I think it's important to find a significant other that supports all of your endeavors. While my husband doesn't exactly take an active role in the lives of my rats, he doesn't dislike them and he doesn't bash me for having them either (in fact I catch him giving them treats occasionally :p). If someone isn't willing to get over some silly stereotype about your rats then I'd say he's not worth your time.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I would say that you lost someone who didn't respect your hobbies enough to spend the 5 minutes it would take to confirm whether or not his bias against rats had any grounds to stand on. You and I both know rats aren't gross, and that the rats we keep are domesticated house pets that are very clean, groom themselves often, and can be litter trained.

I am sure you told him that, too. So I think you dodged a bullet, there. If he couldn't even respect you enough to believe what I wrote above about rats - which isn't even an issue of respecting YOUR words, because it is fact that domesticated/fancy pet rats are rather clean animals, then he probably would have caused you much greater distress down the line when he allows his misconceptions about reality to influence his life (and his partner's) for the worse.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well there was more to it then just the rats but I was still mad about the rat thing. He wouldn't support me when my rat died

·
Registered
10 Posts
They probably think he's gross too. Sounds to me like he wasn't worth it. If he can't accept you and your babies than he isn't worth keeping around.

·
Registered
863 Posts
A significant other should support you, whether they're into your interests or not. Showing support for your interests is an act of respect and love. This guy did not respect you. It sounds like he wanted you to change to suit him, and that is never a good sign.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hm, sounds like your rats saved you from lots of BS down the line. Break ups are never fun though, sorry to hear about that. I've always took lack of empathy towards animals or someones feeling towards their partners relationship to their pets as a red flag to be honst. I understand some people didn't grow up having pets and don't "get it" but at least be poliet about it

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about the breakup. Like others have said, he sounds like he was very cold, closed-minded, and unsupportive about the rats, especially when he wouldn't support you when your rat died. Even if he wasn't a rat fan, a significant other worth keeping is one who supports you in your hobbies, even if it's something you're not that into.

I would also quickly lose patience for any partner who complained about how "gross" rats are--so agreed that this was a bullet dodged. I like dogs, but for example I've seen/heard of my family's dogs doing some pretty revolting things that rats don't do. However, people don't recoil when they find out you have a dog the way they do when they find out you have rats. So it's sad how people still have this common stereotype.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Sorry you're going through this. I just have to say, in my experience, it isn't the little things like hating my pets, it's the overall accumulation of little things that spell out he's an a-hole.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If they don't respect the things you are passionate about, they don't deserve you!Plus, no comforting you when your pet passed away... that is just cruel. Even if he doesn't like them, you were probably very upset and needed support!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts