Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on Friday we finally were able to meet up and place the last two of our Tiny Tea babies. We were finally at a reasonable 13, 10 girls and 3 boys. We sorta talked and thought we may try to find another boy to even out that group but otherwise we were good. And a part of me was missing the two boys, though I know they are in a great home, so I was browsing Craigslist... And found an ad for a lady who had taken in 30 babies a couple days ago from someone who was gonna sell them as food. She said she estimated them around 4 to 6wks, and had dumbo and rex, and dumbo rex. Well... Sunday morning we went by and picked up a dumbo rex boy and a rex boy.... And my brother heard what we were doing and came as well... And picked up two normal coat girls, one dumbo, one top ear. Xp so we are now back to where we were when Darjeeling had her babies... Xp They are so tiny, I'm guessing closer to 3wks, we have the four in the old baby cage, we figure we'll seperate them in a week/week and a half? The boys seem skinnier then the girls, but I'm not sure if they are just younger or if part of it is their fur. Our older boys are almost 11wks, how soon do you guys think we can try putting the boys with them? 6wks? Earlier? The girls will have to wait a long while for sure. Also double rex lose and regrow their fur, right? How soon before you know if they are double rex? Their fur seems rather thin but we've never had a rex so small before. They are Beelzebub the dark rex, Baniwi the light rex, Cubone the capped girl, and the light girl is unnamed atm.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is a better shot of their size, these are the pics sent to us the day before. Just want others opinions on if they look closer to 3wks, or closer to 4 or more weeks. I've tried comparing to our babies pictures but they seem even smaller then their 3wk pics! XP (girls are a little bigger then the boys, only boys pictured, my brother picked out the girls when we got there, we picked the boys out before)

·
Registered
953 Posts
They are gorgeous! I've only had one litter and mine were probably that big at 2 weeks! But I'm going to guess by looking at them they are close to 3 weeks. I'd say a little over or under.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! See that's what I was thinking! They seem as big as our babies were at 2wks to, but they are clearly formed more like a 3wk+ baby. I wanna make sure the boys and girls get split before age becomes an issue, obviously, but they seem so young I don't want them to suffer any issues being isolated to pairs. Especially since both sets are going to be living in groups once old enough. Our boys are so curious, they keep crowding by the side of the cage to stare at the babies' cage. XD i hope that means they'll like their new "brothers"

·
Registered
953 Posts
I would just separate at 4 weeks to be safe. You're boys will probably take the boys soon perhaps then! I separated at 4 weeks, though mine were with their mum because I was worried by folks saying that wilds sometimes mature quicker. Probably overly paranoid, but I really didn't want to take any chances. Anyways, keeping to my point, though not the usual with girls, I moved the girls and their Mom, Goose back with Gooses cagemates. (I did introduce and then sat and watched for several hours) They are all really laid back girls and took to everyone right away. Not a single bicker. I had 8 boys, so they were not alone.

Now your boys seem super small so I might be a bit chicken to introduce them to your adult boys quite yet. But I bet you will be able to do it real soon.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the older boys are still only 11wks right now. I know at least one of our resident girls would not mind babies, she moved in with our mama and her babies and treated them like siblings. But we have a couple rough, cranky girls who havn't even met our 11wk old babies yet, so these new girls are gonna sit it out for a while, to be safe. These baby boys are so skinny, I'm worried about them but I have soy formula I'm mixing with their food to hopefully give them what their missing right now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts