Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you made a dig box before? How did your rats take to it? If you have photos of the little excavators, I'd love to see. xD

I've only just thought about dig boxes before because of the potential mess & soil & bugs debate; but it seemed like so much fun for them. They're adventurous little rapscallions so I'm almost sure they'll love uprooting the grass.

I couldn't find any soil at the nursery that was fertilizer free and sterilized, so we're going to try Eco Earth coconut fiber and see if we can grow some oatgrass in it, and maybe some bird seed. I'm a little wary of growing the grass outside because we have a bug & aphid problem on our plants right now and I don't want anything jumping on the little ones, so I might just grow it by a window...

All I could really find that was strictly seed and not filler was a canary and finch mix that has niger seed, flax seed, rapeseed, sesame seed, millet, hemp seed, and anise seed in it--does anyone know if those are safe for rats to rummage once they're sprouts? I've not heard any dangers about seeds yet (generally what I hear is that if it's good for birds it's good for rats, except calcium chews); we tried them in small quantities (they absolutely love nibbling them, it's no wonder people can't keep rats out of their wild bird seed) and so far everyone is fine.

I'm excited to get pictures and maybe some video; I haven't introduced my new babies on here yet so this would make a good photo op. (One of them is mostly white so I'm sure she'll look like salt and pepper afterward...)

·
Registered
994 Posts
I'd like to make one but i'm not to keen on the mess part

·
Registered
145 Posts
I would love to make one. Although my hubby would probably kill me for the mess part lol

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yes, the mess! I got a tall bin, but I still plan to put a tablecloth down under it in the bathroom. (And have baby wipes on hand, haha). In a certain respect I kind of like the idea of an earthy mess, even though I'll be cleaning it up...they spend so much time in a clean and padded environment and I wonder if they ever feel a wild hair somewhere inside. 😂

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm planning on put a digging box into their DCN cage at the next cleaning. Hmmm, maybe I should put it in just BEFORE the next cleaning. LOL I'm using a 5 gallon aquarium, they also make 2.5 gallon aquariums. I'm not going to grow anything in it, but will use coconut fiber, aspen bedding, and shredded blank paper. I also couldn't find sterilized soil. The 'organic' compost I bought still has poop in it, not going to use that. So, my digging pit will be rather dry. I plan to throw some fav food inside to catch their interest and put a ladder inside. Since it will be in their cage, they can use the bars to climb to get inside. I'm going to fill it 1/3 to 1/2 full, hoping to cut down on the mess some. I also might just put it into the bottom section of the cage where I have a plastic tub with aspen bedding as the 'floor'. That way, the mess won't really matter unless they get so excited they start throwing stuff around. LOL

C in C
<:3( )~~~

·
Registered
425 Posts
I actually did use the Eco-earth fiber for growing wheat grass, it worked really well. You have to expand the brick though which is messy and time consuming. The ratties loved it though!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I put the 5 gallon aquarium digging box in their cage tonight. It has aspen bedding, coconut fiber, shredded paper, and orchard grass as substrate. I hid some nutrasource treats and peanuts in the box. About three of them can fit comfortably in there at the same time. the boy found the food and one of the younger girls. She was just having fun collecting treasures she found, like a lump of coconut fiber, a piece of wood, etc. She used both front and back feet to get to the bottom. I only filled it 1/2 full and her kicking around did not push anything out of the tank. I will try to get some pictures tomorrow.

C in C

<:3(###)~~~

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would love to see photos! I actually baught a tub to make one before summer but could ' t find anything to put in it :rage:

·
Registered
455 Posts
I would like to note that seeds will grow in paper pellet bedding, carefresh, and aspen! So if you want less mess that's an option. My reets loved it :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts