Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have two Sputniks: a small one and a large one. All three can fit in the large one comfortably and often do. When they're not up there, we've learned the reason is because someone peed in it. This has happened at least three times. We wash it out and put it back. Within the day, the rats discover that it's a good place to sleep again.

Does anyone know why a rat would do that? We kinda joked around that our youngest rat got mad at the others and peed there to prove her point. It might not be a joke after all. We don't normally catch them peeing, so I couldn't tell you their schedules. They do the usual dribbles when they're out playing, but nothing major.

The rats are 7-8 months old, so teenage rebellion might be a possibility.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have litter boxes? Do you have pee rocks (http://www.ratforum.com/showthread.php?67546-Pee-rocks&highlight=rock) in them? Using pee rocks if you don't already may convince them to pee in the litter box more. Of course, one of your rats may be marking the Sputnik as his own, so none of this may apply.
We have litter boxes. We have rocks in them now, but I don't know if they're being used (on a bright note, our last cage cleaning revealed the wall was not hit as badly).

We considered that maybe one of them is marking it for her own, but then the culprit is not sleeping in it (thankfully). All three of them like to sleep up there, so it's really quite foolish to make it uninhabitable by all three of them. But, you know, who knows what goes through the mind of a rat?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Doesn't seem too much of a stretch to me. It's right up there with chewing through the ties holding the hammock up, only to be totally surprised when they get dumped off the hammock when they finally chew through.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts