Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today we took all 9 boys in to the vet. Shakespeare got a URI and isolation didnt work so all the boys caught it. I had Shakespeare up on my shoulder all through the ride down and everyone at the vets loved him. I saw a new vet as my cet moved to Vegas :( but she was wonderful with the boys :) and only charged me for 2 of the 7 boys. We then went to petsmart for food and my roommate bought lots of stuff so she could have rats again. This time shes getting her own cage, food, toys ect...all the kids wanted to pet Shakespeare and I said ask your mom/dad. One little girl about 8 loved him. She was holding him and giving her kisses. She was delighted he was licking her. I found a lava ledge finally too so woooo! Next we stopped at the mall for food at the food court. Animals are allowed. As we came into the food court a woman was giving out samples of teriyaki chicken. She asked if I wanted one and I asked if the sauce had orange juice or orange anything. She said no so I said "give it to him" and pointed at Shakespeare. The look I got was his 0_o? But she did gently and slowly start to hand ot to Shakespeare . He ever so lightly took it from her and nommed on it. About 3 people saw this and said "Awwww". Noone gave us any dirty looks, several people said they loved rats. Shakespeare was so gentle today as he sat on my shoulder getting food lol. I handed him small pieces of lettuce and fries as people around us turned to look. My roommate got a picture of him taking the bit of fry from me which I will post hopefully tomorrow as shes sleeping now. What a wonderful day :)

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called every pet store in town and was told they didnt carry them. I walk into a petsmart next to the vets and bam there they were. It was on sale $4.99

·
Registered
68 Posts
great sale! I have a hard time finding them too, Im looking for sales since squeak and the girls are so odd with what they like

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pictures! The first two are Shakespeare in my pocket. He loves it and the 3rd is of the rest of the boys. Finally the last one is the one at the mall where he was getting all the attention.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
That is so awesome! I am hoping to have a great relationship with one of rats so that I can take him out. How long have you had Shakespeare and how long before you felt comfortable enough to take him out with you?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is so awesome! I am hoping to have a great relationship with one of rats so that I can take him out. How long have you had Shakespeare and how long before you felt comfortable enough to take him out with you?
We rescued him with a degloved tail so we had to take him out 3 times a day to clean it as well as taking out and replacing his fleece bedding every day to keep it clean. At first he was just scared and while I cleaned the hospital cage, Angie would hold him on my bed and pet him. He would just stay next to her on the pillows to scared to do anything. Eventually his tail started to dry out and hurt him less and he started to explor my bed a bit more. He would be out for hours with us, watching tv, playing video games, skritching him, free ranging in the bathroom, the works. I noticed he always would curl up on shoulders with us and after about 3 weeks or so we walked across to the street to 7-11. He stayed in my hood the whole time. After that day we would go for short walks with the dogs and Shakespeare around my apartments. He always stayed on our shoulders, in our hoods and what not. The vet trip was his big outting. I am so proud he did so well at the mall. So in answere to your question I trusted him right away but I waited till I knew he was a shoulder rat for sure. You just have to know your rat. Try walking around the house with them to see how they react to being on your shoulder or in the picket of a hoodie. You will know if they like or dislike it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts