Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this diet on a UK website. I am wondering if anyone has tried it or what your opinions of it are. It sounds a bit labor intensive, but seems well rounded to me, (but what do I know ;) ?) Actually, is that enough protein?

Serving Sizes

The serving sizes are for a 1-lb. rat. If your rat is smaller or larger, you should adjust the portions accordingly. This diet is for adult rats. For babies offer adult portions and let them eat as much as they want. Babies need additional amounts of either liver or oysters, as they have a higher requirement for copper, and these are the main sources. Give them the liver or oysters four times a week until they are 4-6 months old.

Homemade Rat Diet Recipe
all foods raw unless otherwise indicated
(t=teaspoon, T=tablespoon, g=gram, mg=milligram, mcg=microgram)

Daily
about 3 T molasses mix (see recipe)
one serving of fruit (see menu)
2-3 servings of vegetables (see menu)

Twice a week (see menu)
1 serving cooked beef liver (organic is best) or canned oysters

Serving sizes
cooked beans(2 t, use a variety of types)
cooked sweet potato(3/4" cube)
broccoli floret(1 1/2" across (cooked or raw)
leafy greens(about 2" square)
other vegies(1" square)
cooked beef liver(1" X 3/4" X 1/4")
canned oysters(one average)
fruits(1/2" cube)

Recipe for Molasses Mix
(will last two rats about a week depending on sizefor more than two rats, you can multiply the recipe)
1500 mg calcium from chewable tablets or liquid calcium with vitamin D
2000 mcg chromium picolinate
250 mcg vitamin B12
40 mg manganese (from capsules)
3/4 C Total cereal
1 lb packaged (not bulk) soft tofu
4 t shelled raw sunflower seeds
1 T flax seeds
3 T raw oatmeal
4 t pearled barley
4 t millet
3 T cooked brown rice
4 T toasted wheat germ
2 1/4 T nutritional yeast flakes (5.6 g)
2 T blackstrap (dark or full flavor) molasses

Soak the chromium picolinate, calcium, and B12 tablets in a tiny bit of water and when soft, crush. Coarsely crush the Total in a plastic bag. Mash the tofu in a bowl. Add all ingredients together with warm molasses and mix thoroughly. Store covered in the refrigerator or freezer.

Menu

The oysters or liver, beans, sweet potato, brocolli, kale, and bok choy are required. (If bok choy isn't available, substitute brocolli or collard greens.) The other vegies and fruits can be substituted with others if you like.

Mon Tues Wed Thurs Fri Sat Sun

berries banana grape/raisin melon prune/plum banana apple

kale broccoli bok choy broccoli kale broccoli bok choy

sprouts tomato parsley corn squash peas carrot

beans sweet potato beans liver/oysters beans sweet potato liver/oysters

·
Registered
393 Posts
This is Debbie Ducommun's homemade diet. Debbie is known as "The Rat Lady". She's very knowledgeable and has written a rat care book that is one of the only ones recommended. The diet is very good if not a bit complex to make.

Here's her page on her diet: http://www.ratfanclub.org/diet.html

·
Registered
393 Posts
magickat said:
Cool! Thanks. :)

You're welcome! I'd exclude the 2000 mcg chromium picolinate if you do use the diet though. I don't know why Debbie still has that in there, apparently she herself doesn't even use it in the mix. Apparently some studies have shown it extending a rat's lifespan hence why she has it there but it's pretty controversial with some people even speculating it could actually be harmful. I'd just avoid it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts