Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So,

My rat Pipkin has been on a baytril/doxy mix for almost a month now and I thought he was getting better but lately hes been getting worse, not to much but still worse. Hes getting 0.1 and 'One drop' of doxy twice a day, hes 2 years almost 2 months and beside from the URI is doing pretty well. So my question is, what antibiotic should I try next? What would you reccomend I should do? Thanks.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Azithromycin has been my vet's go to antibiotic when the baytril/doxy isn't doing it. It helps that it seems to taste better than the baytril/doxy combo- at least my rat takes the azith without much fuss.

·
Registered
365 Posts
My rats LOVE the taste of the Azithromyacin. Fair warning, at my pharmacy, it is about 45 bucks for a week's supply. I mean, I forked it over for my wee poppets, but you should call around to different pharmacies in town and ask for price quotes. One place was going to charge us 60 for it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ill keep Azith in mind, thank you!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Not an antibiotic suggestion, but if you ever run into trouble with expensive prescriptions, you could try the "GoodRx" app. I use it for all of my medications + stuff for my smaller pets.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
"one drop" is not an effective dose at all.. Is your vet experienced with rats at all? I just finished a month course of baytril at 0.15 twice a day of baytril and 0.3 twice a day of Doxy for my smallest girl. One drop isn't going to be at all effective and is so weak it may even be strenghtening the bacteria who can easily fight it back. I would try a new vet if possible first thing. But I also had good luck with another rat who was on doxy twice a day and azythromycin once per day. In the past I've also been given clavamox twice per day which was very good.

Definitely look for a new vet or get a proper dosage at least. For a male rat who is likely much bigger than my tiny hairless girl, he should be getting a higher dose assuming it isn't upsetting his tummy too much.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I live in New Zealand where rats aren't as popular as pets so there's only one vet in my area that actually takes rats so switching vets isn't really possible. I have a vet appointment in about an hour to get more antibiotics and a check up to see how hes going, possibly get an X-ray as someone suggested that it could be a lung tumor or a growth. I'll make sure he gets a good amount this time.. is there anything I should ask my vet/ask for?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts