Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aoife is snuffly again, and I'm going to call the vet as soon as they open tomorrow before I go to work. Hopefully I'll be able to get an appointment early. I'm going to ask him for baytril and doxycycline combo to try to beat this thing down.. She gets an upset tummy really easily, so I want to give her dairy yogurt or other probiotic foods (would kimchi or sauerkraut be ok to give rats? Or other probiotic foods?) to try to combat the squishy poop AB side effects.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
doxy can't be taken within an hour of dairy. You should also give it an hour after baytril too so you can give the baytril in yoghurt and the doxy in something else. You could also all for amoxycillin rather than doxy as it works well worth baytril and can be taken with dairy

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She's been on amoxicillin a lot of times before to try to help her symptoms, but they're just chronic and never go away for long. But maybe the amox combo with baytril, that might work? Do you think doxy/baytril combo is best to try to eliminate this issue? I've read with chronic issues like this, the minimum treatment time is 6 weeks, assuming symptoms improve in 3-5 days.

So it's just doxy that can't be taken with dairy? Would another probiotic food source work well, like the two I mentioned already? Or maybe just a probiotic capsule to mix in?

Do I have to space out the doxy/baytril doses given by one hour? Or is that only if I give the dairy? Is it ok to give the baytril and doxy at the same time? With work and such, it would be a little hard in the mornings to try to give it to her an hour apart. If it truly would be more beneficial to do so though, I would definitely make time. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
i really rate baytril and amox as a combo though baytril and doxy can work well too. The reason amox isn't effective on its own against chronic issues is that is ineffective against myco. It acts on the cell walks of bacteria and myco doesn't have them. However is very good against secondary infections but it could be worth trying both combos.

It's only dairy doxy is no good with but it should be given an hour Street Othery antibiotics if at all possible. If you can't just leave it as late as you can. It wad a pain in the mornings when i did it to.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I requested the vet give me 15mg/kg twice a day for baytril, and 5mg/kg twice a day for doxy since I read that that combo and strength worked well for chronic issues. But he didn't want to give me such strong baytril, so instead ordered 10mg/kg ONCE a day, but kept the doxy the same strength. Do you think this will be effective? Should I give it to her twice a day anyway? She does have a sensitive tummy and gets soft poops while on ABs, so I don't want to make her sick.. I just want to try to get rid of this chronic issue so it doesn't get worse when shes' older or end up turning into something bad.

Thanks for your help Isamurat, sharing your advice and experiences is really appreciated :) (when you say you "really rate baytril and amox as a combo", did you mean hate? I know your phone does autocorrect a lot, so i always have to sometimes decode your messages haha, but I'm not sure what you meant to say this time.)

·
Registered
219 Posts
10mg/kg of Baytril combined with the 5mg/kg of Doxy should do the trick. But that Baytril should be twice a day.
As for the upset tummy, is it always from antibiotics? Or is she just getting too many veggies?
Anyway, canned plain pumpkin works wonders on digestive issues in rats.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
i like baytril and amoxycillin combo lol. For once my phone didn't hate me.

i second the baytril twice a day. You can also get powdered probiotics if your struggling though i would just give a teaspoon of love yoghurt once a day. It doesn't have to be at the same time as the meds

1 - 7 of 7 Posts