Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

What vegetables do your rats like? I want to start a garden this spring, and I would love to have a little something for my Whiskers. I would guess carrots, sweet/snow peas, and lettuce, but I haven't tried giving him those, so what is your experience?

(If it means anything to you, I live in planting/growing/hardiness zone 7.)

·
Registered
11 Posts
My rats love green beans, carrots, strawberries, peas, broccoli, and cauliflower. I've heard that lettuce and celery don't have much nutritional value, but kale, parsley, and basil are also good for them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
A wide variety is best, but the first things I would plant in a garden for rats would be kale or dandelion. It helps that they grow pretty easily too. For herbs, mint and basil are favorites with mine. Some rats also like to rub the mint leaves into their coats.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I don’t really need to plant dandelions, they mostly grow themselves! Mint is pretty easy, too. I will have to buy some mint plants or seeds in a couple weeks when I am out of self-quarantine.
What part of the dandelion plant do they eat? And do you know what type of mint they like?

·
Registered
20 Posts
The whole dandelion is fine - flower stem and leaves, but I really emphasize the leaves. Any common mint should be fine as well. Mine get spearmint mostly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My rats will eat basically anything, You can give them really anything though ( not-caffeinated non-achaholic no junk food). My rats LOVE egg and chicken. Tomatoes, cucumbers that kind of stuff they like.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts