Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a DCN for my 5 boys today I found out that my favorite "boy" is in fact a girl but with being so attached already I don't want to part with her. So I am looking for a new cage for her and her future cagemates. What would be the best cage for them?

·
Registered
46 Posts
The kaytee exotics home, its cheap (75 dollars) large, and easy to clean! I wold maybe order 2 if you have the money to connect them

·
Registered
46 Posts
this is the one, there is also a 1 inch bar spaced one for ferrets,

·
Registered
908 Posts
The cage she posted above is a good size for 2-3 girls. I've even housed 3 boys in it before. That said, it is not super sturdy... I had to reinforce the corners of mine with zip ties and used tiny binder clips to secure the doors (the doors just push closed and a very determined / strong rat might be able to push it open). Also, it has a plastic try which could be chewed if your girls are chewers. I ended up taking out the plastic shelves as they got urine on them all the time and were hard to remove to clean. Instead I hung several hammocks (you can fit like 4-5 if you use corners ones too) and they enjoyed that layout.

If your girls are smaller, the Petco Rat Manor can work. It is all metal and sturdier than the cage above, but it is a PITA to clean. I took out all the small levels (the wire gets coated with urine and they are very hard to wipe down). It held up well for over a year. If I end up uwing it again, I will likely try to remove the center floor and just fill it with hammocks.

Both of these cages are hard to put big things in, You would need to lift off the base to put in a wheel or anything else large. Some of the medium / larger martins cages would work well (just look for ones with dimensions as larger or larger than the kaytee cage above). They can be expensive though and you'd need to pay to powder coat it.

·
Registered
953 Posts
My girls would chew all the plastic in the kaytee one. I bet it wouldn't hold them for an hour. It would only hold the hour because a hole big enough to get out isn't really what they are after, it's the total destruction of all that is plastic. They can be free roaming in the room and still go back to a plastic cage to destroy it.

For your girls-you could split your dcn into two cages with boys in one and girls in the other. other cages i like: martins, QC, and even a good flight cage can be quite nice.

i have a single boy in a bird cage, the square foot according to the rat calculatr says it hold up to 4. it's easy to clean, has a large door on it, plus a small door within the lg one. Food doors on teh side. It goes on sale all the time at petco for under 100.00

006.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts