Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Trying to get my 3 posts in. I know i need a wire cage. So is Critter good to get? Plan to get 2 babies at first. I know half inch minimum. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Where abouts in the world are you? This gives a better idea of what the best available cages are.

The UK critter for example is in my opinion a bit rubbish and there are far better cages for less money

·
Registered
53 Posts
Get a critter nation if you can! They do end to run for about $100-$200 though, but they are extremely popular and in my opinion, the best cage out there.Here are some other really good cages too, The Petco Rat Manor Cage and the Fiesty Ferret cages.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can also vouch for the Critter Nation. I have a DCN at home and a single CN at my mom's where I visit twice a month and take my ratties along. Other than the slightly frustrating process of putting it together, I cannot imagine having my ratties in anything else. It is a real palace and you can have lots of fun adding things to it. I'd buy it again and again. You can try Craigslist for an used one. Just make sure you disinfect it well. Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Get a critter nation if you can! They do end to run for about $100-$200 though, but they are extremely popular and in my opinion, the best cage out there.Here are some other really good cages too, The Petco Rat Manor Cage and the Fiesty Ferret cages.
I got the Petco Rat Manor cage. I don't really have a lot to compare with and have only had this one less than a week. It's okay. I know I've read mixed reviews and am kind of seeing why. It's pretty cheaply made. Some of the wires are bent a little, one of the ramps was missing a 'foot', and the paint is already starting to come off the door where the thing to latch the door shut is. I also find that it's REALLY easy to accientally knock the ramps and the smaller levels off, and the middle ramp in particular is a pain to get back on. There are these metal parts that stick out on the metal base to keep the wire part from going all the way to the bottom (at least, that's my best guess on its purpose). I would be concerned about that being a bit sharp if I used loose bedding as the substrate. I use fleece that covers the entire metal part, so those aren't exposed with my boys.

I've heard that it's a pain to clean. I haven't had it long enough to need to do a thorough cleaning. I also read that bumblefoot might be an issue because of the wire mesh surfaces (I've also read counter-arguments saying that it isn't an issue with this cage, so take it for what you will). There are 2 narrow shelf unit things in the cage that are wire that I leave uncovered, the boys are rarely on those anyway. I do have the mid-level of the cage covered using fleece, just in case. I think that will also help with the cleaning thing.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
bumble foot can only occur if there is pee on the wire not if the wire is clean. Although it isn't comfortable for your rats to be sitting on wire either. And if you are going to get more than two rats the petco rats manor is too small for three.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a single unit critter nation and prefer it to my old cage, which was fine for two rats but creativity was a bit limited. Try to get it on sale. I paid $100 for mine on amazon but the only thing is you have to litter box train them or it'll be everywhere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i got mine on amazon as well. its a prevue two level cage. i got it on sale for about $110. not bad. it wants easy to put together but its wasn't too hard either. lol. it is able to handle 2-3 large rats with no problem. i only have two in there, but lots of toys.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Check Craigslist for Critter Nations if it is too much to buy new (one level is 100-150, double is 200+ when not on sale). I live near Tucson and searched Craigslist while I was trying to find one and kept finding them up in the Phx area for sale (but very few in Tucson area). I currently have mine in a Rat Manor while they wait to move into their DCN. The Rat Manor is okay as it gives enough space for 2 young rats but if they get much bigger they will need more space. It is a pain to clean though - unless you take the base off each time, which hasn't been easy, then you are forced to clean through the door openings which don't leave much room. Also stuff gets stuck between the cage walls and the base...meaning you have to take the base off to get it out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts