Rat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
272 Posts
I’m buying a rat but I’m not sure what cage to get as they are all expensive has anyone got any re my budget is £75
You have to adopt 2 rats not 1, in the wild they live in large mischiefs (groups) and a single rat will be depressed and aggressive. Also if your budget is £75 on a cage, I recommend you to not buy rats, they are very expensive pets despite their size.

· Registered
103 Posts
rats, they are very expensive pets despite their size.
Agreed. Rats seem to be one of those ‘it’s small, so it must be cheap’ animals, similar to hamsters or small birds.

Since R_A_T_S (original poster), is from Britain, I’m going to use the average of local prices as a quick example. A consultation with the vet alone can cost from £15-£30 (£30 in my experiences). Neutering can often be from £50 upwards.

And they can get much, much higher. Searching online, I’ve seen mention of vet costs up to £600. Of course, a rat isn’t going to need every treatment under the sun, but even one can be so expensive for somebody on a budget.

· Registered
Rats, rats, rats!
170 Posts
Just a note on the Single Critter Nation debate above: depending on the cage calculators online, at 36”x24”x24” (which is not including the stand) it is a perfectly reasonable size for up to 4-6 rats (some calculate at 2 cubic feet per rat, some at 2.5). It’s a well made cage, the bar spacing is great for even the smallest rats, and the cage opens easily and closes securely. It also won’t rust, is chew-proof (unlike plastic bottomed cages) and is very easy to keep clean and to ”redecorate” due to the doors that open wide and allow easy access. It has a lot going for it, I don’t think I’d ever discourage someone from getting a Single Critter Nation if they can afford it. I’ve always had Double CNs, but only because I can afford them and have the space, but there’s nothing wrong with 4-6 rats in a Single Critter Nation, as long as the space is used wisely and the cage is full of enrichment items. (Of course, I think 6 rats in a SCN is stretching it a bit, but that’s my personal view…)

· Registered
Timmy, Basil | RIP little Ernie
236 Posts
It looks like a small cage, make sure you take them out for 2-6 hours a day.
Add two water bowls, and preferably another bottle. Put a lot of hammocks, a litter tray, more bedding, blankets, chew toys, ladders and especially ropes.

The door is also very small so getting them out to bond may be hard.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts