Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I thought he was a Russian Blue Berk (with a blaze) but he looks darker than most RB's...

So, what color do you think he is?

He's VERY shiny (I think he might be a satin rat) and his fur is longer and much softer than Panda's.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I think hes cute :) other than that I can't help you

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
he and Panda came from a breeder who lives around here (West Lafayette)
Panda is almost a month older than Scout and they came from different parents. she's not a big breeder, she just has a few litters every now and then and finds interested owners through a small local pet shop. Scout had a brother who looked like him (minus the blaze) who went to a different home. i didn't get to meet the parents.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Why does he look like a black blazed berk to me?

Here is a russian blue hooded

Satins are not common outside of a breeder's rattery and are not just shiny standard coated rats. :)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
lilspaz68 said:
Why does he look like a black blazed berk to me?

monitor resolution (???)

that is why it is like impossible to tell from photos

the sheen on the rat of this thread does appear blue on my end, a very deep, dark blue that is most often associated with a good russian blue color. The lighter/grayer blues are called American Blue & English Blue I believe. Who knows at this point, it could very well be black & the camera created the blue I am seeing.

the link I provided to the AFRMA, did you click it? What color did that rat look like to you on your end?

just like the pic you placed on here looks more mink "ish"/ grey & the rat on the right looks very peachy/orange colored.

Our camera's often don't capture the colors. I know I have a devil of a time photographing my blues. They always look minky, grey, silver or even sometimes they wash completely out if placed on a light colored back ground & I have a pretty darn good camera.

It's best to go to the sources that set the standards but if you visit enough of them you will see that the photos of what they call "russian blue" differs from site to site & it has to be because of the quality of the photo.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i wish i could scan him and send him to everyone so they can see his real color instead of what their monitor shows them :D he looks like a russian blue cat; my friend has two and his fur is almost exactly the same shade as theirs. though the RB color standard for rats is probably different than for cats.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I don't know colors well enough to make a guess, but on my monitor he looks almost black, but with a very dark blue sheen. He's beautiful! I'd call him a Midnight Blue ;)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
BlueSkyy said:
i wish i could scan him and send him to everyone so they can see his real color instead of what their monitor shows them :D he looks like a russian blue cat; my friend has two and his fur is almost exactly the same shade as theirs. though the RB color standard for rats is probably different than for cats.
Did you do a google search?

Some of the descriptions offer you pretty good tips on how to determine the color & I have even read that the color is quite similar to the color found in dogs/cats.

Be sure to read the descriptions because it is the coloration of the hair shaft from top to bottom that is used in determining color. Not just what it looks like on the rat as a whole or how the rat appears on pics & across the net.

That is the one draw back to showing off our babies... nothing compares to seeing them upfront & personal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts