Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:lol: I thought this could be a good thread/topic as we would learn about other foods that our rats might enjoy and might get good nurtritional value from.

My rats have in there cage

A small cermaic bowl with Pets at home Rat nuggets
A smaller heart shaped mini bowl with dried banana chips. (About 10 chips between 3 ratties)
They also have 2 water bottles with water in and a mouse sized water bottle with kitten/cat milk in.
There main meal for tonight will be cooked chicken with salad leaves , cucumber and tomatoe.
So what have your rats consumed today and what to do they have in store
Jess x :wink:

·
Registered
447 Posts
We have had a bowl of ratmix/nuggets/dried pasta as always, and some popcorn leftover from the cinema, and I think they ate some of my rice crispies this morning - I cant remember.

Carrot has had half an opal fruit and some cookie with her metacam, although she didnt eat either, and Pea ate some of the dogs chew.

A typical day here lol.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
xampx said:
We have had a bowl of ratmix/nuggets/dried pasta as always, and some popcorn leftover from the cinema.
Haha, mine get that whenever I go to the cinema. I have to get a large pack of popcorn, I'll eat half and share the remaining half with El Rattos.

I swear, if I come back and they give me kissies and smell popcorn on my breath - I'll have **** to pay lol. It's their favourite treat :lol:

·
Registered
468 Posts
Well, today roxie has had the usual rat pellets/suebees mix, and she just ate some of my apple! It was her first time trying apple, and she absolutely loved it!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Kenny had nutro/suebees mix, a few baby carrots, and some broccoli. He only eats the stalks of the broccoli. Does any one else's rat do this? He actually puts the other pieces in his litter box to let me know how he feels about it I guess lol.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
mine had grape tomatoes, broccoli, and red cabbage with their regular mix of mazuri blocks, noodles, kashi puffed grains and grain flakes. they had hamsteroids as treats, although those have almost no nutritional value, lol, but they love them. picasso will box me for them. :)

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
HT blocks, a couple handfuls of Suebees, a couple leaves of Romaine lettuce, olives, carrots, and sweet peppers, one shred of cheese each, a crumb of toast each, a couple licks of yogurt, and, naturally, a yogie or two a piece for doing "tricks" (cooperating with being on my shoulder).

A good day for the girls, overall!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Mine had....
Mazuri lab blocks, lunch was a "pinata" filled with cherios, peas, carrots, corn, Kashi puffed grains, and dried papaya. and for dinner they had more blocks and some scrambled eggs left over from the Sugs. They had fresh water all day, and Moose got to pick a seedling from his dig box as a extra special treat lol.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow
Mine have some dried cornflakes for breakfast - banana chips and rat nuggets for lunch

im not sure what to give the little darlings for dinner lol.
Last night they enjoyed there chicken salad but havnt eaten it all yet - i also added some extra light cream darily cheese in there just to see if they like it and the results are - they've only eaten a small amount of chicken havnt paid attention to the cheese but the salad stuff went down with them. They've not eaten any nuggets to my knowledge but it is there first time with them..they also have dog bonio treats in there cage along with a corn on the cob(petstore brought) and a puppy chew so they never go hungry and there teeth arnt to sharpe. They are 11weeks old tomorow :D
Jess x

·
Registered
486 Posts
My girls have their usual mix of Pets At Home rats nuggets and rat museli in their cages, and they've also had their daily morning treat of a small piece of crust from toast, from my mom - They aren't satisfied til they have their toast :lol:

Then they may have a grape each or some watermelon later...or anything else that's tasty and good for them, that's in the fridge.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I decided mine would have for breakfast

Cornflakes
puppy treats (small)
banana chips
dried pasta

im at school so will have to see if that met there sandards when i get in
Jess x

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Last Night it was HT blocks, veggies, and some bread with olive oil, since the air's so dry here lately.

They only get fed once a day, they're chubsie enough as it is.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Today started at just after 5 am with handing out 1 or 2 Mazuri 6F lab blocks to each of the 17. Most like to stash one or eat one on the spot... others like to hide their's then run around & grab everyone else's. The bigger rats will get 2 to 3 each. Because of some many different appetites & attitudes about eating, I no longer dish feed in bulk... we have it to a science with how much they eat so that we don't have food waste or hungry rats because of hoarding. I lay out small portions in several locations so that each have their own pile to eat from.

At 9 am I gave them some fresh papaya & half a grape each for the younger rats--as much as one big grape or 2 small grapes for my biggest rats. They also received some puffed brown rice cereal & rolled oats.

At lunch time I will see if they readily take another lab block... if they hesitate on that I will offer some leafy greens or some frozen veggies, then attempt the block again in an hour or so.

This afternoon when my daughters get home from school, during their free roam time, they will get more oatmeal or some other 'cereal/grains' or possibly some type of treats such as sunflower seeds or some yogurt mush (we make this by adding dry baby cereal to yogurt.

After our dinner I will offer any salad greens or veggies we have left over along with their lab block again. Last night they received a treat. We had chicken drumsticks last night. I was able to spread out 5 bones with lots of meat left on the tips between the 17 rats by cutting them in half. Everyone who shared a bone did so nicely. This was the first time I have offered my 6 sisters that I recently took in.

That's about it... it changes daily as to what the specific ingredients are, but that is the basic routine.

(you'll notice no consumption of yogies today or any day... I don't give my rats this stuff)

·
Registered
175 Posts
My two girls get a small handful of Mazuri Lab blocks every morning (sometimes every other if I notice a stash of them in the cage). Every night before I go to bed, they get a bowl of carrots, cucumbers, apple or greens and pasta. This keeps them occupied for the night (or at least until I fall asleep) and keeps them far quieter at night. They get yogies only a few times a week.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine dont have yoggies as a treat (im i right thing yoggies are the small animal yoghurt drops?)

they just have them for somthing nice - mine rarely take food from me they only eat when they are ready , the only food they will hapily take from me is scrambledd eggs lol.

they also have in there cage a ripend petstore brought corn on the cob but they havnt showed much intrest in it.
they have not really touched the cereal/pasta/banana/puppy treat delight that i gave them - they have eaten the few peices of dried pasta though so im not to worried as of yet - plus they had a big chicken salad the night before - my rats are very small for there grand age of 10 weeks 6 days.
Also they arnt greedy and share nicely though im surre that will probz change ;)
they have not eaten many if not none of there pets and home nuggets - they are to used to reggie rat i think but they kept leaving the seeds ect in reggie - but me bein a good mummy wouldnt fill it back up till the seeds were eaten up lol.
Jess x

·
Registered
722 Posts
Mine got some Suebee's last night, and some was left over this morning when I left. They'll get some Regal Rat soon, and some veggies tonight before I go to bed (carrots, peas, corn, and green beans).

They're so funny- they're beginning to think that rice puffs are treats!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are any of your rats hungrier after free range time
Jess x

·
Registered
482 Posts
My rats are ALWAAAYS hungry ;), especially fatty Addo.

Over the past few days they've had some rice krispies, some rat food, cucumber, a bit of orange which they rejected horribly, and some various veggies.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I feed my rattie boy Templeton,(so far today) some mixed rat food from Petsmart, dome carrots, 1 yougurt drop, a small peice of cheese,and a tiny little peice of carrot. Also, I just gave him 1 peice of popcorn.

I REALLY spoiled him today! lol

:D

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
mine always have a mix of lab blocks, oats, dried pasta, seeds, dried fruit and peanuts in the shell in their cages. every night, they get frozen peas and corn, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, fruit (depending on whats in season) and frozen berries. they also get, but not all on the same night, cream cheese, avocado, cheese, plain biscuits (cookies for the americans), almonds, banana chips, and teething rusks. they also get whatever leftovers that are suitable.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts