Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boys are 10 weeks old. We've had them a few days and I'm slowly introducing new foods into their diets. My question is how much fruit/veg is 'safe' for them to eat? I've also been giving them small pieces of cooked chicken, Remus in particular loves this! Does anyone have suggestions of what else I could introduce to 10 wo rats?

·
Registered
953 Posts
the more you introduce, the less of picky eaters they will be later. With that said, introduce slowly in case of a stomach disagreement. I wouldn't do more than a little of something new each day and make sure they don't get runny stools. Veggies and fruit intake should be gradually increased if they are not used to it so it doesn't cause stomach upset.

A variety of veggies, including leafy greens and herbs is good-with the exception of the onion family. Sprouts are good for them and you. :)

A variety of fruits. If boys it's recommended to not feed citrus. If using dried fruits make sure to only five very small amounts, they are very concentrated then and have a lot of sugar.

Whole grains, both cooked and raw. Like a little oatmeal from you if you make some for yourself, don't use the kind with added sugars. any other whole grains you pick up. Mine love millet. You can get them in their sprays in the bird area of pet stores. You can tie them to the side of a cage to make it interesting.

Cooked and uncooked whole grain pasta.

Lentils/split peas can be cooked or raw. Beans you need to cook according to instructions.

I like to give mine whole nuts in shells for both the foraging and the treat inside. There is good oils in a lot of nuts, but not too many for they are fatty. I like hazel and brazil nuts, they are really hard to get into so keeps em busy for a while. It's kind of a toy and a treat in one. Other nuts and seeds to give sparingly-safflower, pumpkin and other squash seeds.

A little plain yogurt is good, or you can mix with some fresh or frozen fruit. (if frozen, make sure it has no sugar added)

Human cereals can be given as treat, just stick with ones low in sugar and salt.

Chicken bones are usually a hit if you eat c hicken.

Other meats-oysters, fish, turkey eggs. Keep it small amounts and not a daily item.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Mimsy has a good list :)

At that age supplementing with extra protein can be helpful, depending on what food you are normally feeding them. I prefer 18% protein for my babies.

Just remember all things in moderation. Their base food should be about 80% of their daily diet with other foods being 20%. That isn't very much. Rats are also fairly small :) Too much extra foods can lead to picky and overweight rats. Treats can add up quickly. I prefer to give them fresh veggies daily and everything else here or there, if I give them a single item a day or very small bits of several things. Maybe even every other day or so.

I do not really measure things out, but I've read that a serving is about the size of their head and that seems about right.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
After Halloween I have tons of plain rosted pumkins seeds that my rats will actually fight over. So those seem to be a big hit. So are cheerios but only the plain ones.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you!! That is incredibly helpful advice. I guess we can have some fun trying out new foods while they're still babies then :)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oatmeal was a big hit this morning! A nice reward for having a nasty syringe of Baytril shoved in your mouth! We also LOVE chicken and broccoli. Thanks again for your advice, we're having lots of fun.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thank you for the list Mimsy!

I have a question though. I am currently roasting pumpkin to make pumpkin puree for pumpkin pie later in the month.

I have the seeds and I would like to make some for my ratties, though I'm not sure of a "rat safe" way to do it. Most recipies call for using cooking oil and salt. I know "no salt!!!!" but what about the cooking oil? Should I just bake some seeds in the oven with just water?

Also, can rats have pumpkin or any other kind of squash? I know they can have butternut squash but it has to be cooked. Is this the same with pumpkin? Is roasting it (pumpkin, butternut squash) okay or should they be cooked in a skillet or boiled in water?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Squash is all good for them. They don't actually have to be cooked. However I usually give them some of mine, which is cooked. I'm not sure if they would like it so much raw. Though I have gave them raw zucchini which is a squash and they liked that.

I lightly oil my seeds and then do a slow roast in the oven. I've done it without anything before too, but I didn't like them as much. :) But they did turn out fine.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Squash is all good for them. They don't actually have to be cooked. However I usually give them some of mine, which is cooked. I'm not sure if they would like it so much raw. Though I have gave them raw zucchini which is a squash and they liked that.

I lightly oil my seeds and then do a slow roast in the oven. I've done it without anything before too, but I didn't like them as much. :) But they did turn out fine.
Thank you!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts