Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I'm getting a single ferret nation cage this weekend and then hopefully getting the add on unit soon. I was planning on getting all females, but there's been a male rat (7 months old) at the Humane Society for a while and he's all by himself there and I feel so bad for him. There are also 2 females (both 1 year old) there. I want to adopt all 3, and get either the male or females fixed, but i don't know about the cost of that here. I think getting the male neutered would be better because I could have him heal by himself and not have to worry about other rats bothering him, then after 3 weeks (so he is not fertile), get the females and introduce them. Or, I could go the other way around, but I would rather get the boy first since he is already by himself at the shelter and he's been there longer than the girls. I for sure want to get the boy so he doesn't have to be alone, but I don't want to get more boys because I would have to get from the pet store which I don't want to do. One more problem is that I don't even know if they are going to accept each other and get along...Would it be okay to have 1 boy with more than 1 females? And would it be better to get the male neutered or the females spayed?? :confused:

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Spaying females has a lot of health benefits, so that's what I chose to do for my mixed sex mischief. It's said that male and female introductions are the easiest to do, mine were super easy. So if you can afford to spay I would spay, but I know it can be really expensive and neutering is usually cheaper

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually made a list of good and bad things for spaying & neutering. I would much rather spay for the health benefits, but the cost I think is going to make the ultimate decision because I'm 15 so I don't have much money and I know my parents aren't going to help with any of it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I babysat for my aunt fulltime over the summer, and I still babysit him a lot after school and stuff, but I don't get much for that since it's family.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Well rats cost lots of money unfortunately. Have you tried getting a fast food job after school if you had the time? Spaying is great for females but I know how you feel wanting to rescue the lone boy.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I can only wish you luck. I would at least get the male fixed if he is what you want to start with that way like you said he will have recovery time before you get some females. I believe they do better in a mixed cage.

·
Registered
952 Posts
If later down the road you decide to get the girls fixed its never a bad idea. The cages can be separated so they will have time to heal up before going back with their little "boyfriend"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts