Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I managed to get some footage of sounds Luna Makes. I was wondering do rats make any other sounds when they are healthy besides their squeaks? Sorry for the quality the vids are much better but photobucket messed up the quality. Oh also dont mind the deep voice thats my bf playing halo 3 lol

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I think I heard it.... kind of a nasally-chatter-talk

I currently have 2 females that do that when they are excited & it almost seems as they are doing their best to communicate something to me. They are both completely healthy.

I've had others over the years that did the same as well. They were all very healthy as well & lived full lives.

They never made it on their own from what I can hear when close by but out of sight or when I was not paying attention while in the same room. But when I would approach their cage for a visit & they knew I was paying attention to them they would start that chatter with me & continue to do so the whole time I would play with them. I have also heard it when they would investigate a new addition to their living space.

I believe I know how they produce the sound because of closely listening in order to make sure it was not a cause for alarm. They are rapidly moving air back & forth through their nasal passage & throat.

I honestly don't think it is unhealthy or a sign of something to be concerned with... I really think they are quite aware of what they are doing & how to make that sound at will.

·
Registered
50 Posts
This noise is just liquid in the nose as they are breathing. It seems this rat may be a little sick, or it may have a respiration problem. Right now everything seems fine, so don't freak out. Just note this, and if anything happens, like the rat is stressing a lot (lots of red liquid around the nose, eyes, and inevitably on the inside of the wrists), make an appointment with a vet. But this doesn't seem urgent, or very threatening.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
whew thats a relief yeah I had seen this video on youtube of a girl talking about her rat and how it had a respiratory infection. I almost thought it sounded similar. But because Luna doesn't do it unless she is excited about coming out of her cage or getting treats I had second thoughts. I figured I would get other peoples opinion.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
That sounds like something Sevilla does, when she gets really excited. I hear it mostly when she's putting her nose in my ear (for obvious reasons, but she also gets really excited about that, too!), or when I walk around with her on my shoulder. I think it's kind of a "omigosh-what's-this-fun?-tasty?-sniff-it-smell-it-explore-it" kinda of noise, at least for Sevilla. She does sneeze on occasion, a little less than your girl does, but I've had her to the vet and I've "rat phoned" her, and she seems perfectly healthy.
I think it's just another rat noise.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree. It is probably just another rat noise. But I have seen one of my rats make this noise, and it leads to a sort of 'cold' where the rat sneezes a lot, and is stressed. But if those symptoms don't progress, there's no worry!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
too late to edit so I guess I should add a bit to my original post

The noise I described & what I believe is going on in the video doesn't seem to be an indication of illness. I can't get into a rat's mind & I don't speak rat but after years of having them sometimes you can just sense what is going on with them & understand some of their ratty expressions, especially within my own rats.

This sound when done by a healthy rat & at certain times of excitement & curiosity seems to be a sound that some rats are able to create at will whereas if the rat was ill the sound (or similar sound that is more in the lungs & much wetter sounding) would be more 24/7 & you would see other symptoms.

So, if the rat is making this noise just any old time & there is presence of porphyrin, they have a slightly disheveled look about them & such... then I would suggest paying closer attention to them as it could be an indication of something going on

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A1APassion said:
too late to edit so I guess I should add a bit to my original post

The noise I described & what I believe is going on in the video doesn't seem to be an indication of illness. I can't get into a rat's mind & I don't speak rat but after years of having them sometimes you can just sense what is going on with them & understand some of their ratty expressions, especially within my own rats.

This sound when done by a healthy rat & at certain times of excitement & curiosity seems to be a sound that some rats are able to create at will whereas if the rat was ill the sound (or similar sound that is more in the lungs & much wetter sounding) would be more 24/7 & you would see other symptoms.

So, if the rat is making this noise just any old time & there is presence of porphyrin, they have a slightly disheveled look about them & such... then I would suggest paying closer attention to them as it could be an indication of something going on
Ah good info. Thanks! Yeah there really isn't anything else present just the noise. But it's mainly when she is excited. So I am not to worried anymore
Thanks for everyones opinion! I feel much better now! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts