Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I had my rats in their old cage using fresh n comfy, I had no smell really. I recently got a critter nation and they smell is pretty bad. They've been doing pretty good for using their litter boxes, but the other day I cleaned everything, scrubbed the plastic, new litter, etc and they still smell. They had peed in a bed I had for them so I threw that out. Those who have critter nations/no bedding, how do you deal with the smell?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
What do you have covering the plastic shelves? One thing I've noticed is that the plastic shelves will really accumulate smell and it's really hard to get it all out. I got my DFN used, so it was already a little funky :/ You really need to put something over the plastic or switch to something that's not textured (I use the large concrete mixing tubs from home depot). They also like to scoot their little butts up in the corners and pee down the sides, so you'll have to take it apart and give it a good scrub every month or two. In between the major cleaning, take a toothbrush and vinegar to the gaps between the bars and the frame since pee will also accumulate there.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I second the use of vinegar, it gets rid of smells like nothing else.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What do you mean by the concrete mixing tubs? the cage is brand new I got it a couple weeks ago. I just have fleece covering some of it.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Trying putting newspaper with baking soda underneath the fleece. Fleece wicks moisture away. When it sits directly on the pan, the urine is wicked away (so the rats aren't running around in it) onto the pan... Then it just sits on the pan to stink. Try putting something absorbent with baking soda underneath and that should help.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I say nix the fleece and switch to newspaper. Worked for me :)

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
What do you mean by the concrete mixing tubs? the cage is brand new I got it a couple weeks ago. I just have fleece covering some of it.
They're big plastic tubs that fit pretty much perfectly into ferret/critter nations; allows me to use aspen bedding. They're not very pretty, but they're easy to clean. The newspaper and baking soda is good too, assuming you don't have rats that like to chew up the fleece.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've had a ton of smell problems. What I found worked best was taking the pan out of your cage and coating it in a thin layer of Baking soda with your had. Then, Take either vinegar or Lemon juice and splash it on the pan. It takes out the smell!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts