how has ur routine changed
whats the postivies and the minor negatives or your ratties

Jess x :D

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok so i will start

I wake up and before school i check on the ratties and speak to them while im getting ready - my rats all sit by the side of the cage or in there hammock whilst watching me :)
I go school. First thing i do when i get back is see the ratties , play with them speak to them ect
Then at 5ish they get somthing small to eat before dinner like a chopped fruit or somthing im eating to
then in the evenings it time to free range them whilst i organise there cage and give them dinner (they free range in a water FREE tub)
then they go back in the cage and ill go on my pc and yes i do chat to my ratties lol... :lol:
Then before i go bed i check there food/water and change and fill it if i have to ..
then i wake up at least 2wice to say to them 'RATS WILL U BE QUIET MUMMY IS TRYING TO SLEEP' and then they shut up for like 5 whole seconds lol.
And i also clean there cage top to bottom plus disinfectant twice a week and i wash there beloved baby clothes snugglys at least 2/3 times a week
Jess x

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That reminds me i better put the clothes on the radiatior for them tonight or i will be in the rathouse so to speak lol
Jess x

·
Registered
483 Posts
I wake up in the morning and go downstairs, and check on them, usually my girl who just turned one is right by the cage door. I usually give her and her sister and brother a yogie or cinnamon goldfish. Sometimes I will take the brother out to cuddle with me while I am waking up, or I will take her out. Then after a while I will put him back in the cage and go get my breakfast. Then I go to work. At lunch I go home to check on them, sometimes they are awake sometimes not. If they are awake I will give them a treat. When I get home I check on them again, if one is awake I will take them out for a little one on one mommy time. Then after supper I put up the fences and let them free range until usually I am ready to go upstairs. Sometimes one or two go upstairs with me to play on my bed for a while or get some mommy time

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
one of my rat girls - rataouille bruxed on me today lil vibrations she loves cuddles from me
Jess x

·
Registered
229 Posts
I've only had my girls for 4 weeks, and for all that time they've been on meds for URI. At first they both got meds every night, then an hour or two of play time on the couch, and Gohma got better but two weeks later Dust was getting worse so we took her to the vet and got Baytril.

Every morning for the last 10 days we would wake up Dust, give her the medicine, then tell her how good she is and put her back and either head off to work, or go back to sleep. Every night we'd repeat the process. Today was Dust's last day of meds though, so she wont have to deal with being woken up early in the morning any more. :)

The girls always get 1 to 3 hours of free-range time every day, usually at night. They get 6 kibbles of Regal Rat in their food bowl every day too (3 for each of them), or as a treat for being good. They love their Regal Rat, but they're still too young to eat it as their main diet, so I give it to them as a daily treat. ^^

·
Registered
347 Posts
In the mornings, after waking up, first thing I do is check on the rats. They free range whilst I make breakfast (my breakfast is usually healthy cereal and occasionally porridge). The ratties get a bit of the cereal dry. I obviously put them back in their cage while I get ready for work.
..........................Work.......................
After work, I always have a bit of 'homework'. Just something extra to be on the good side of my boss. During this time, the boys (and occasionally, the girls) will sit eagerly waiting to come out. They do. They stay out for an hour, sometimes two. Then, one on one time. This is usually late at night though, just with one guy, then the next day, another. They get a treat to coax them back into the cage. Always works. They'll do anything for food.
I refill the food bowl (only if it's empty), refill the water, add an extra and unusual toy for overnight. That's the end for them, but not for me.
I do a few extra stuff, have dinner, go to bed. When I'm extremely tired my boyfriend will always do one on one time for me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Here is my routine.
First thing in the morning, go talk to them. If I have time, I open the cage and let them run around a little. Giacomo, the baby, usually still sleeps, but Edward has gotten used to me getting up at 5:45am. They get a treat, like peanuts, the natural ones with not salt and they have to chew off the shell. Back into the cage before I leave for work.

After work, first thing I do is go and open the cage. It stays open until I got to bed, so they can run free for about 6 hours every day. On the weekend it's all day as long as I'm home. They do sleep part of the time, but on top of their cage. The cage is in my bookshelf, but they can get down to my desk and loves to run around there. Edward, the oldest one, has also found a rout down to the floor and goes exploring all over the apartment. (it's only 35sq. meters). Yesterday I found him in my closet that just happen to be open.

When they go back into the cage for the night, fresh food and water awaits. I have ordered a bigger cage and more toys for them, it will arrive early next week. The cage I have now only has two floors, the next will have three.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mine need a place to free range apart from the bath tub
Jess x

·
Registered
234 Posts
I wake up say good morning to the rats, turn my light on, & the heater for them.
Then I go down stairs and get a drink, be lazy for an hour or so.
About 9am I go back upstairs, & usually my sister does so too..
Toby is usually up so we bring him out and give him kisses & cuddles.
Some mornings (it depends if it's eaten or whatever) I'll change the mix.
About half nine my mum & I will make their breakfast. (It's a pain collection the things. I need to get the boys' bowls and take them down, round, and in the kitchen - my sister does the same with the bowls; then my sister gets the big water bottles and I get all the small.)
So we put that out and they eat for 20mins (I call it their eating 20 minutes!) then halfway through the twenty minutes my mum takes the dog out... after about fifteen minutes I clean out Fred's cage. (Change the bedding, if needed, trays, wipe shelf.)

Then we do the boys' cage after about ten minutes. Change the towels, wipe pee from ditches, raisins get taken out, etc. (While we do the cages they have to come out and we play with them.)

Then we have to do Willow & Honey's cage and whatever. Wiping shelves, cleaning trays, doing the bedding, wiping bars.

After that we get breakfast - it's like 11, 12am.
We need to try get earlier lol.. I wasn't washed and hair dried until 1;30pm! Lol..

The work.

Then about six, or seven, we feed them again. Their dinner.
Do the bowls (taking them doing & it's very annoying) and whatever all over again. My sister usually does the water and I'm the one preparing the food. Yum!

After dinner, about 7:20 - I let them out again.
They all play & whatever.

There have been things going on, though, so I've not been giving them as much time as I'd like to.

Fred & Willow have to come out during the day, sometimes, actually. Fred is out right now - it's 3;32pm.

I used to have Gus & Toby out like, 4, 5, hours a day.
I'll try get things sorted out more and so I can go back to that..

It's fun reading what other people do..
Rattie Heroes! :lol:

·
Registered
234 Posts
junior_j said:
mine need a place to free range apart from the bath tub
Jess x
My guys free-range my room.
I'm getting the girls a play-pen soon though, because they are really a pain.
They run and go flap their ears with the boys and when I tried my mothers' hall all they did was pee. :roll:

So not fair on my mum. Was it, was it? *glares at girls*

Such :twisted: they are. Really such a pain.

Willow went to a bag of bedding - two nibbles, she's through - it comes spilling out on top of her. :lol: :x

The boys aren't so bad, though since they are boys they tend to scent mark things.. *looks at pee stains*

And I always always always come across hidden poops behind my beautiful new furniture! :roll:

The point is no matter what you do, you'll still end up with chewed cables, pee, poops, ripping possessions, and putting your rats in jail like I did this morning!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good luck with whatever you decide, Jess. :)

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
An average week day;

6:30am: wake up and give Daphne her eye drops and all others who need medicine. Go back to sleep
8am: Wake up, give Daphne her OTHER eyedrops, get dressed for work. I leave at 8:15
6pm: get home. Ritchie comes out straight away
6:30pm: Put Ritchie away and get Andy out
7pm: Free range Ben (and Jack and Gus on another Sofa)
(sometime around this time I have to make dinner)
7:30pm: Free range Jake
8pm: Free Range the boys (Ray, Taz and Mattie)
9-10pm: Free range the girls in the bathroom. 9pm is Daphne's eyedrop time
10-10:30pm: Daphne's second eye drops and medicines to whoever needs it
10:30-11pm (sometimes 11:30pm): Feed, change water, night time treats
11:30pm - this is when I get ME time, lol.
12am/12:30am - Bed

Some days change - like Friday's where usually no one will come out as it's cage cleaning night. The 'order' of free-range is usually fixed, so El Rattos are very good at remembering when it's time to go home, and who come out next.

Weekends are less hectic as at some point over the weekend all the rats get at least 2 or 3 hours free-range sessions.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yesturday i was ill (stomach bug) so my ratties didnt get to free range in the tub...
instead i got up and spoke to them ect
done there water (i hardly ever have to do there rat food because the dont eat it !!!)
then around 7ish i give them some pasta/high bran/rice crispies ect
and all through the night they were astounded i was awake (bein sick) and when i wern puking it i was giving them rice puffs(crispies/snaps watever u call them lol)
today they need free ranging time
Jess x

1 - 13 of 13 Posts