Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for new ideas on what to give my girls for breakfast and supper.

Lately I've been giving organic oats (no sugar at all) heated up and drained, then a bit of canned corn and a tiny bit of coconut oil and mix it all together. And for the other meal I'll give 1/4 of a medallion piece of banana. But they get bored of the same things easily so I need more ideas.

Thanks!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Have you tried roasted sweet potato? My guys love it. If you don't want to cook it in the oven you can microwave one for about 3 minutes, flip it over and cook it another 3 minutes or until its soft. If you don't like sweet potato you can always freeze the portion of cooked sweet potato they can't eat within a couple days. It's very good for them. My guys won't eat the skin for some reason lol.

Roasted squashes are also a favorite. They also like quinoa, I've given some from my own dinner a couple times.

You don't even have to heat the oats up, mix 1 part oats, 1 part liquids (yogurt, milk, or juice), a little chia and flax meal (optional), maybe add some nuts or dried fruits and let it soak over night, I make it for myself to eat and sometimes make a batch for the boys, it's good for about a week in the fridge.

My guys even like fresh salad (Romaine, Spinach). And broccoli, they love broccoli, I hung a piece from the top of their cage and watched them stand to grab at it.
But they hate celery, they also hate canned pumpkin, but love fresh pumpkin. Spoiled brats. :p

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't thought of sweet potatoes! For some reason I thought it was on the list of things that were bad for them but maybe that's when it's raw? Regardless, I shall try that!

Are cantaloupes and watermelons good for them also? What about kiwis?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yeah, sweet potato is only bad if it's raw.
Cantaloupe, watermelon, and kiwi are all fine too, I'm sure they would love them!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts