Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright...
I've been having some conflicts with myself whether my rats are on a proper diet or not -- just like any other rat owner, I want nothing but the best for my boys! My 2 boys get 1/2 a cup of Oxbow pellets in the morning, 1oz of Reggie Rat food at night, and fresh fruits and veggies every night as well! Now my questions are:

Do you think they are getting a balanced diet?
What do YOU feed your rat(s)?

I've had quite a few breeders say that they are unsure of Oxbow pellets because they are processed, etc. And many have said "Don't feed Oxbow!" as well, so this concerns me, but also confuses me considering TONS of rat youtubers feed Oxbow and many of you on here feed Oxbow as well. :S

I've also been considering adding some ACV (apple cider vinegar) to their water/food a couple times a year.

What are your thoughts on this?
Do YOU supplement with ACV every now and then?

I've read that ACV helps build up their immune system, it adds vitamins and minerals to their diets, and it cleans the gut of harmful fungus and candida!

Thank you for your help!

~Pix

· Registered
479 Posts
We feed them Oxbow, I fill their bowls every couple days and keep an eye on their stashes (all ours stash the food) and refill once they are low/empty. They have a "treat" mix of seeds, nuts, cereals and grains, and meal worms, that they get a couple times a week. Then they get bits and bobs of veggies and occationally fruit. Feeding lab blocks is one of the easiest ways to make sure they are getting a lot of their needed nutrients. Especially if its a good quality lab block. I know I've seen a breeder or two say they prefer homemade mixes to lab blocks, but they also stress you need to know what to put in it and how to tailor it to meet your rats needs. It is a lot harder and a lot easier to mess up if you don't know the science right. I've never heard of ACV in that context, but I have to stress you should never add something to their water. Especially something like ACV which can be kinda gross tasting, they can stop drinking enough water if they think it tastes bad. I don't know if its benificial to add to their food or not though.

· Registered
539 Posts
I feed Harlan Teklad 2018 as my main staple. Then I have a mix of dried veggies, fruits, some seeds, and Oxbow RR pellets (to acclimate them to it since I'm going to switch completely when I run out of the HK2018). Then I have a recipe for a homemade mix that will act as a supplement to the oxbow as well. They also get bits and bobs of whatever we have around the house. Made a smoothie? Give a little to the rats. Made soup? Give the bones to the rats. Etc.

I've heard of people adding ACV to the water, but I'd be careful of that. Rats may not drink the water if they think it's spiked, so you can try having 2 bottles - one with only water and one with a little ACV mixed in. I've been meaning to try this actually, but haven't gotten around to it. I'd try slowly acclimating them to it. Add in a few drops each time you fill the bottle.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hm... I never thought of them not wanting to drink it, but thanks for the suggestion! I always give my rats two options when it comes to water -- they get a bowl and a bottle. I wonder if it would be harmful to give them the option of licking it off the plate?

· Registered
664 Posts
As to your idea about the acv, I would try turkey tail mushrooms instead. Good for immunity and helps prevent tumors. not a sure fire cancer remedy, but it does help. wheatgrass powder is also good. for the turkey tail mushrooms, buy the capsules you can pull apary and mix the powder with a treat like baby food.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.