Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got to take Ed to the vet tomorrow, and I called them to see if it's ok to bring both of them, as Addo needs his claws clipped/general checkup etc.

Just went to the petshop and bought a cat carrier similar to this:
http://www.cat-alog.com/carriers/pet_carrier_cayman1.jpg
Except on the top it has thin bars, where the handle is.

Just wondering, does anyone else use a cat carrier to take their little ones to the vet, or anywhere else? What kind of things do you use to line the cage? I'm trying to put a towel in but because the sides are plastic I can't think of a way to keep it down!

Swift responses appreciated, heading off tomorrow morning!

[edit] Don't worry, the front bars are fine, I thought maybe Ed would be able to squeeze through but he can just about stick his head through ;)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
so long as they are not left unsupervised it should be ok

those slots at the top could be something they could chew threw if given a chance

I have one of those small all metal hamster cages with no levels in it ( I took the one level it had in it out )

& I have one of these

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I use a cat carrier similar to that, since we already had it for the cats. I just put down a towel, but didn't need to fasten it down. If they're only in there for a little while, it'll be fine ^_^

I also have a little carrier that is exactly the one A1APassion posted. It's very small though. I originally intended to use it to transport a baby rat from the humane society about 10 minutes away (in lieu of the box they stick small animals in for transport). Now, the bottom purple part is used as a litter box, and the top wire part is filled with fabric and hanging in the girls' cage ^_^

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hm! Thank for the advice! I just popped Addo in and he seems fine, he doesn't know how to chew anyway he's just silly. I've got a smaller carrier which I'll use for Ed, I originally had meant to take them both in the large carrier but I think since Ed is ill and Addo isn't, it's best to keep them seperated, don't you think?

·
Registered
730 Posts
I use a carrier similar to the for the rats :D. I actually bought it for my kitten, so they have to share it.

This is how I set it up for he rats. They get a litterbox, small pocket hammock, small bowl of food and I hang a water bottle from the front door.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah, yes it looks just like mine (cept mines red). I've whacked a hammock in it, a little lettuce bail thing for some food, and I have attached a water bottle too! :)

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
i use this guy! got it at petsmart for $7 out of the clearance bin, yay! it's cloth so i'm sure if i left them in there bored for a couple hours they could find a corner to dig themselves out of, but it's rather sturdy and there aren't any really good places for them to start chewing. plus, it's adorable. <3 my two are very comfortable in it. i give them watery fruits like watermelon or cantaloupe to keep them hydrated, hamsteroids to keep them entertained, and swatches of fabric for them to dig in and they're pretty much set. besides, they are never in there for more than a couple hours at a time.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Phobie said:
Don't worry, the front bars are fine, I thought maybe Ed would be able to squeeze through but he can just about stick his head through ;)[/i]
Careful- if they can fit their head through a small space, they can squeeze their entire body through it. I learned that one the hard way!

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
that's the general rule but i've had rats get to just pst their ears then get stuck. they were HUGE rats though. at 5 mths the lightest one was a pound and i a half, the heaviest just over 2 pounds. they were big big boys. its funny now because people will remark at how big stewie is and he has nothing in comparison to the 5 mth old babies i had once. :lol:

but i have the same cage that reachthestars has. the rats share it with the cats and the bunny. i just throw a towel down for them and off we go. if they are going to be in there for longer then 20 or so minutes i'll cut up an apple. i have had to use it in the past as a quarantine cage and so there is a spot in the side that has some chewing done to it. the larger dog kennel that i had but my mom took back, violet chew right out of. i'm sure they can do the same with this cage as well if left for too long.

on the plus side i've had babies as young as 5 weeks in it and no one was able to squeeze through the bars.

right now the cage is being used as a step for the bunny to get to his cage too and the cats like to snuggle in there when the door is removed so its in use all the time. either as a transport cage or as a step/hidy hole.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
I used smaller cat carriers but the rats weren't fond of them, then I started using small wire cages as carriers and they were much much happier

This is a Superpet 1-Level My First Home for Hamsters...I have a hammock in it that they can rest on or sleep under and feel protected and warm. The only drawback is the tiny door so I have to lift the top off the base to get the rats out. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts