Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm a new rat owner and I'm just starting to pick up on the bits of pieces of rat behavior. I was petting one of my boys today and I noticed the tip of his tail wagging as I pet him. I looked online and I'm getting conflicting answers on what the tail wagging means. Does it mean the rat is happy and enjoying me touching him or is it like how a cat would lash its tail when it doesn't want the attention anymore? Please share your expertise with me! :D

·
Registered
455 Posts
It's called Noodling. I had a boy who did it when I pet just the right place. It's sorta like boggling, it's just the by product of happy. Like a dog thumping it's leg when you scratch it's belly!

·
Registered
994 Posts
I've seen my rats do it in a negative situation, like after they've had an argument or If I place my hands over their head and cover their eyes.

·
Registered
953 Posts
It's just excitement, both good or bad excitement can cause it. You want to look at the circumstances to figure out what the reason is.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I think it's just excitement. My youngest boy does it when I'm playing with him. I'll wrestle with him and he'll run under the cage and vibrate his entire tail before jumping out at my hand again. =P

1 - 5 of 5 Posts