Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
With all the craziness going around with the corona virus, my family has to go into quarantine. We have been away on vacation before all the craziness has begun, and now we have to stay in quarantine for two weeks.
It's been really boring, and since I'm stuck at home with nothing to do, I want to spend some quality time with my rats.
I've made them a few things out of cardboard, but I would really like some more suggestions on what to do with my rats.
Maybe some ideas about games, things to make out of cardboard and wood (we have a lot of materials at the moment) and anything that would be time consuming, and fun for me and my two ratty boys.
Thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
This would be a great time to start teaching them some tricks! Our member @Shadow <3 has a channel on Youtube with great videos, and there are plenty more you can find as well:

I'd also suggest sprouting some cat-grass (oat or wheat grass) and letting them go nuts playing with it. I just tried it for my girls and they loved it. It does take a couple of days to set up but hey, you've got time. ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the advice! I will definitely use the wheat grass, I'm not sure when I'll be able to go out and buy some, maybe I could order it online...
I have tried to teach them tricks before, but they are getting quite old so I'm not sure how it will work out. I rescued them when they were one years old, so I'm not sure if they would be able to learn anything else.
But thanks again, I will definitely try out your suggestions!

·
Registered
8 Posts
My rats love to explore the house. I'm not comfortable letting them free range, but I keep a close eye on them, and they stay pretty close to me. It's honestly adorable to watch my little Chester hopping up and down the stairs, and his antics are always extremely entertaining to watch. You could also make hidey-holes out of cardboard boxes, or create mazes for them to run in. I also like to take paper towel tubes and stuff newspaper and treats in them. My rats always have a blast digging for treats. As for training, any rat can learn tricks, no matter how old they are, provided they can still get around. Some easy tricks to teach rats are coming when called, shaking paws, and spinning in circles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts