Rat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been reading some posts here to get my "three" done and lots of people here seem to have ratties from feeder bins - please tell me this isn't what it sounds like....

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
A feeder bin is a large bin in pet shops where they put rats by size, sold primarily as snake food. Its fairly standard in the US, thankfully very rare here in the uk (at least now) where snake food is generally frozen. Many places where pet rats arent common only have this as a place to get rats from close to hand.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh no, it was exactly what it sounded like then wasn't it lol - what lucky little ratties to get picked from there then :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
yea both my babies were saved from thier impending doom... they were from a feeder bin and both way to friendly to have such a fate

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I have yet to see a feeder bin, but I can imagine how depressing it is. I've seen rat racks and those make me want to cry. They look so dark and stuffy

·
Registered
56 Posts
When I got my rat Kipper, I was at Petco, and a lady was going to buy her for her snake. I got one of the workers and claimed her before the other person could. I was only at the store to get supplies though...I just couldn't let that lady take her!

·
Registered
952 Posts
Ok so I have seen feeder bins or what I think they are and rat racks by snake breeders advertising them for sale as well as youtube. How they separate the rats at petco is small in one tank, medium in a second and large in a 3rd tank. Are these the feeder bins? Or are they like they have at pet supermaket where they put the girls with the boys and let them grow up together only to separate them after the babies are weaned? Or both?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Feeders are usually sorted by size and a lot of places don't seperate gender as they expect them to be food within a day or two of being taken home. Some places may not label them as feeder as they "hope they will be taken as pets" which is how we ended with with 11 babies. Some places may breed their own feeders or keep genders seperate but you dont see it very often. With mice I always see pew mice as feeders but rats are always diffrent colors and ear styles and coats. Not sure i there is a reason or if its just the places I've been.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You shouldn't find any feeder bins in the uk because feeding live animals to others such as snakes is illegal. So we are lucky not to have any feeder bins in the uk.

·
Registered
966 Posts
At the petco here, they are same sex in same tank and Usually only a few ratties.Petco takes a bit better care of them than an actual feeder bin. Although they are still considered feeder rats. My boys came from an actual feeder bin. Which is 20 to 30 rats females and males in same bin and sorted by size. They are in a small plastic bin with a metal top that has holes. Actual feeder bins, you will not see out in the store. They are kept in the back and you have to ask to see them. Its quite sad. Atleast this is how they do it here.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm so glad we don't have those in the UK. ;-;
I mean...there are plenty of awful people who buy pet rats/mice to use as food still...but at least there aren't as many as elsewhere just purely because there can't be without having these bins.

I don't like buying from pet shops, but my last mice were from a pet shop because the three boys looking at this tiny pair of mice were talking about how fun it would be to watch their snake hunt them...it was so sad. Especially when I went to buy the pair and one was disabled. She had something wrong and it made her so vulnerable, bless her. I hated the thought of someone finding fun in a defenseless animal being killed as it was, and when I realised HOW defenseless she was... D;

·
Registered
11 Posts
effy i think pets at home have tried to implement calling the owner a few weeks after they buy their animals so that people are less likely to feed them to snakes. They called me 3 weeks after i got my two girls there. Although i am going to a breeder next time as one of my rats is always poorly and i only want to fund good breeders.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Well PETA made petco and petsmart not sell their rats as feeders however I was in there a few days ago and this woman straight said it was for a snake. The employee didnt bat an eyelash. I wonder if I should report it? Doubt anything will get done but it might be worth a try...ok so feeder bins are seperated by size and rat racks are like what snake breeders use.

·
Registered
195 Posts
When I picked out my first 2 girls at petsmart the employee asked me if I wanted them as pets... I just kind of looked at him funny and said of course! He said he needed to know because if they were feeders he wasn't going to bother having me sign any paperwork with the health guarantees on it. I was dumbfounded, he seemed disappointed that he had to do more work!

·
Registered
952 Posts
Yhere is one employee who works at my petco (the crappy ghetto petco lol) who has 4 female rats. She is vary passionate about the animals and I over heard her talking to her boss about the lone bird who was getting depressed because they sold his buddy off. She said they needed to get more birds...I know not all the employees are rubbish but still I couldnt work there...

·
Registered
3 Posts
There's a store down the road from us that has a feeder bin. I adopted the last large rat out of one of them (I know this isn't the best thing to do since it only encourages stores to keep selling live rats), because he looked so upset. I asked to hold him and he actually pretty receptive to being held. He's doing much better now with some friends and a nice large cage to run around in. He's my little potato!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts