Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been trying to figure out what Daisy's coloration is ever since I got her. I thought she was a Berkshire blaze, then husky, and now I think she may be chinchilla? I am so confused, and a little worried. I read a checklist for colorations at risk for megacolon and originally thought she wasn't high-white. Now, I am worried that she might be. I read that there are recessive blazes and dominant blazes, but I have no idea how to differentiate the two. I also saw that Chinchilla is also called "Dominant" or "American." I don't know if that means it's the dominant kind. Here are some pictures, please tell me what she is and what her risk is if you can. Do almost all high-whites get it? What percentage? It seems like a death sentence, like if she's high-white then I should plan for the worst. Here are the best pictures I could find and that show her markings in many aspects.

Red Water Tints and shades Rectangle Rat Muridae Muroidea Rodent
Rat Mouse Muridae Rodent Hamster Rodent Whiskers Fur Tail Squirrel
Rat Skin Nose Muridae Rodent Rat Whiskers Pink Nose Skin
Red Lip Flesh Fur Tail Face Nose Head Selfie Boston terrier

·
Registered
333 Posts
She is a high white (the blaze) but that doesn't mean she will definitely have megacolon. Many rats are born high white and do not have megacolon.
Just watch her for bloating, though she does look old enough that she should be in the clear as kksrats mentioned. She is definitely adorable. :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I believe that the blaze makes her a high white. I believe that once rats are past infancy, they're usually past the megacolon danger zone. It usually strikes in infancy.

One of my boys is a high white with a similar blaze and megacolon-free. One of my other boys might be a high white too (he's all white except for a little mask on his face... I think that fits the definition?). Also no megacolon. I started reading about this high white stuff when it dawned on me and I was concerned for a while, but then I found that if they're past 8 weeks and don't have bloating or highly unusual-looking poop, chances are your ratty is fine.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Over half of the babies from my oops litter in November plus one of my adult girls have HW markings but no megacolon and ad previous posters mrntioned, she looks beyond the danger zone, your girl is very cute btw

1 - 5 of 5 Posts