Rat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hercules is my 3rd baby, another rescued feeder, I had him since he was 11 days old. When he was about 3.5 weeks old he started losing his hair. He is 100% healthy. The first photo is him at 3.5 til now (@ 4 weeks old).

Attachments

·
Registered
870 Posts
Mites are not visible to the naked eye and one rat of a mischief can show signs of an infestation while others don't. I would have a vet take a look.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No vet where I live that will see rats. I went to go get one of my boy neutered but they referred to to different vets over and over.

·
Registered
996 Posts
My money is on double rex. :) His skin looks too healthy for mites or lice. Of course, my rule of thumb nowadays is to ALWAYS treat new rats I get for parasites.

·
Registered
996 Posts
They can get them that early. A rat isn't safe from lice/mites just because they haven't opened their eyes yet. Plus, a small infestation can go unnoticed for a long time. Not to mention, mites/lice can travel on bedding and food you've bought and even on you so if he does have mites/lice, he could have gotten them recently.

I'm not saying he does have them as I'm 99% certain the hair loss is due to him being a double rex, but it's dangerous to assume a rat doesn't have a parasite of some sort, even if you don't see any symptoms.

Now that I've found a cheaper way of treating my rats for parasites (both external and internal), I've taken to erring on the side of caution and treating them anytime I even think there is a possibility of parasites.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Freddy came with lice and hair loss much like your rats.. The only way to rule out lice is a skin scrape at the vets but its cheaper just to treat for it and not go to the vets. I thought he was a double rex because of how clean his skin looked but a skin scrape test was done by the vet because I didn't know you could buy a treatment at a shop. His hair grew back rapidly after treatment and since then I have seen it as just something you should do to be sure however much you doubt it could be lice.
:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts