Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does it mean when someone says a rat is 'popcorning'? I've seen a few videos online so I know what it looks like, but I am just wondering what it actually is, behavior-wise.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Popcorning is something rats do when they are excited or having fun. They just kind of jump/wiggle mid-step ad pop up in the air like a kernel of popcorn popping! It's really cute, mostly it tends to occur when the rats are young but can be displayed throughout life :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After watching loads of videos and getting these explanations, I'm now pretty sure that this is what Grizz does every time she free-ranges. Little bugger hops all over the place like a tiny rabbit.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
A sign of excitement and happiness that is often seen in play. Some rats do it their whole lives, but it is typically seen in young rats. Only one of my 5 boys still popcorns and he is the youngest. Cherish it while you can! :)

·
Registered
955 Posts
Mine are almost 6 months and they still popcorn. Especially when I get them all over excited from tickles and hand chases. Long may it last!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Delilah popcorns, I think, when she knows it's time to come out. She hops and runs in circles and sometimes both so it's like a little spin hop lol. This morning she popcorned on my shoulder! I had a mini heart attack thinking she was going to fall off of me!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts