Rat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is nothing serious but I thought I would post a picture just to be safe. It just looks like a scab or something but I dont really know.

Rokks Face:

What does it look like to you?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Re: What is this?

It does look like a scab, though it's quite blurry. Has he been scratching more or do you think he might have just nicked himself on something?

·
Registered
187 Posts

Does he have only the one scab? Check around his neck/shoulders and if he does have bit more, then I would say it's time for a mite treatment.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Forensic said:
It does look like a scab, though it's quite blurry. Has he been scratching more or do you think he might have just nicked himself on something?
Yeah it is blurry but he wouldnt stop moving. And I dont know.

·
Registered
39 Posts

I see two things:

1. It's probably a little scratch.

2. You need to either stop using the digital zoom on your camera, or set your camera to S Macro.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

tialloydragon said:
I see two things:

1. It's probably a little scratch.

2. You need to either stop using the digital zoom on your camera, or set your camera to S Macro.
I was using my Crappy little camera that has no good features...sorry...

I am gonna watch him more now to see what happens.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Is it scabby or just porphyrin? Even so, it could mean he's stressed or possibly sick?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bear rubbed up against him and now it is gone, but he always has a little tiny bit. Could he be stressed because my sister sprayed something in my room? (It was a super smelly spray) It happened a little while after that.
(I told her that they dont like it, they dont have good respitory systems and she sprayed away to make my room smell less like rat.)

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
give your sister a good kick in the butt for spraying stinky stuff in your room. i tell beckoned friends they cant come to our house if they wear strong perfume, aftershave or hair products. one friend in particular is dense like that... i told him not to wear stinky hair product to our place as it upsets the rats, so the next night he had on stinky aftershave that smelt like citronella. i told him off again... havent seen him since, haha!!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Yeah, that could be it. But it still looks like he might have mites which won't go away without revolution or invetermicin. That could also tax his immune system and stress him out to the point of porphyrin discharge. Usually when you start to see discharge often it's not a good sign and time to get on antibiotics. But if it goes away after your room airs out and after a mite treatment you should be fine.

There are places you can order revolution over the net and many vets will just sell it to you without an appointment if you are a regular or even some if you are not. I would get that for them.

It would be ideal, however, for you to see a vet. If you cannot though I don't think it's life and death here. But he really does need that mite treatment asap.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My dad has this stuff for mites that we use with snakes...It is a spray but it works great. Also, I did NOT spray it in my room(there room) or anywhere near it. (outside is where it happened.) Then it sat out there for
10 minutes to get the spray effect to leave. Then I put everything back and so far the red stuff is gone, and I havent seen him itching and scratching.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I wouldn't use a spray anymore. That can do really bad things to a rats respiratory and that is formulated for a snake not a rat ): Only things that are approved for a rat is revolution.

Since if it is mites, you will need to dose the rat again in a couple of weeks. It could kill your rat to use that spray so I wouldn't do it anymore. And who is to say if it actually works for rats ): I would order a thing right now, and treat both rats as if one has it the other probably does.

If you are so reluctant to ask or go to a vet, and many would sell you some even without an appointment, you can order it at petshed:
http://www.petshed.com/products/item107.asp

I too am dealing with mites ): It's not fun. That's what the vet prescribed for me. He told me to give two drops on my 500+ gram boys and just one on my wimpy little 300 gram hairless. One vial treated them all. He told me to give them more in a couple of weeks.

My advice: don't do any more treatments with that spray stuff. Order the revolution, wait for that to come in. Treat both rats with two drops. Clean EVERYTHING freeze wooden toys and vacuum or mop around the room they are in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts