Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I felt this wound on my rat's back today while petting him. I don't know what a rat bite looks like but it's very likely his cage mate bit him since they've been fighting a lot recently. Please let me know what to do if it is a rat bite. Should I separate them or keep them together?

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's come to my attention that these could be mites, as they're scratching at themselves nonstop. What's the best treatment for mites?

·
Registered
870 Posts
The two most used remedies for mites are Revolution and Ivermectin. Revolution is usually prescribed by vets, but it can be purchased from Ebay in 3 tube packages. You use the cat or kitten formula, not the dog formula. The dosage is three drops applied on the skin at the back of the neck. Ivermectin is available in small animal dosages from Amazon. The brand is "beaphar Anti-Parasite Spot On". It comes in two dosages, one for hamsters, gerbils and rats under 300grams, and one for guinea pigs, rabbits and rats over 300 grams. The dosage is one pipette applied to the skin at the back of the neck. Some swear by Revolution, some swear by Ivermectin, I leave choosing up to you. Horse Ivermectin has been used with rats but getting the dosage correct can be a problem, so I won't cover that here.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts