Rat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ImageUploadedByPG Free1412828099.655060.jpg
Is this a rat or a mouse? I saw it on the Internet and I'm super confused. Why does it's face have no fur?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm not expert, but the head structure seems more mouse to me.
It's probably recovering from a mange, or some other condition. The lack of scabbing seems to indicate it does not currently have mange, but it could be a different condition (even stress) that has caused it to loose fur. Or even a mutation that caused the hair to not grow, but given the dimples where roots would be, that might not be the case.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Definitely looks like a mouse to me. What website was the picture from?

·
Registered
307 Posts
I'm really inexperienced then. The face looks like a rat to me....Shame. The little thing looks like it's in need of a good home....

·
Registered
26 Posts
I saw one just like this the other day, they said it was a hairless mouse in the process of losing its fur. The owner actually posted multiple pictures of the process. At first it looked like a werewolf and then it looked like it was wearing a tutu. lol.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
It's a hairless mouse. Hairless mice are born haired and they loose it starting on their faces until they are totally bare. He's totally healthy, just going through the shedding process.

He's not neglected or suffering- don't worry. Just a genetic thing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wow...I'm really glad when I had hairless mice that I adopted them already hairless....because that is the creepiest thing I've ever seen. D;

1 - 13 of 13 Posts