Rat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Idk what this is on sketch's snout. It wasn't there last night when i was playing with them before i went to bed. His food hasn't changed and there's nothing he could get into. It looks like a pimple/blood blister. It doesn't seem to bother him cuz i can touch it with no response from him. I just want to know what it is, if i should be worried, if it'll go away or if i need to have it removed. Thank you in advance for your time and help!

Attachments

·
Registered
835 Posts
It almost looks like a giant black head so it could be just a small abscene?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is this something i should worry about? What could cause it? He's 8 months old and I've had him since he was 6 weeks

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Lanced. But you should try holding a warm wet cloth on it first to see if it will open up without the stress of a vet visit. Once it's open, clean it out with saline and keep doing so.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lanced. But you should try holding a warm wet cloth on it first to see if it will open up without the stress of a vet visit. Once it's open, clean it out with saline and keep doing so.
Ok ill try this, thank you so much! Hopefully he won't put up too much of a fight! Does anyone know what can cause this?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I think that some rats are prone to them just like some people are. They tend to come back in the same area too. Not sure what exactly causes it though.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Also, if it doesn't look like it's going to drain, you may want to take him in anyway. It could be a stubborn one that just has to be lanced or it could be something else entirely. I've never seen a facial tumor on a rat in that area, but you never know. Wishing you the best of luck!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm taking him in, he's acting very strange and squeaking when i try to pet him anywhere on his sides, even if its very lightly. I'm so worried about my baby! Calling the vet first thing in the morning. Thank you all so much! I'll keep this thread updated.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OMG I'm freaking out! He's now holding up his rear right leg and it's taking him great effort to move around, also when he does he squeaks a lot like he's in pain. Both his cage mates (and also brothers) are trying to stay as close to him as possible and if their contact makes him squeak they start sniffing and licking him. Sketch is also doing everything he can to stay buried so I have provided him with a fleece blanket (old kids blanket). I'm freaking out because I can't find an emergency vet who treats exotics and I've been sitting next to the cage gently petting his head since my last post crying. I want to take him out of the cage and just hold him but I know the comfort & bond with his brothers will do more for him than I can.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm anxiously waiting to take him to the vet. We have an appt in 3 hours. I got him to eat and drink a little but i had to give it to him in his bed because he won't come out. My breeder just lost 2 of her rats within weeks of each other, she said she woke up and they were just gone. Hers were barely a year old and related to mine. I was afraid to sleep last night because i didn't want to wake up to the same thing. This is all bad. I was expecting to get at least a year to a year and a half....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So he's going to be ok. His foot has some torn tendons and damaged tissue and there's also a severe infection. Yesterday he developed a mass on his throat which is also infection. They tried to lance and drain it but didn't want to do so without putting him to sleep cuz its too close to the jugular so they sent us home on antibiotics and pain meds. He was probably really lethargic cuz the infection caused a fever. He's more alert this morning but still doesn't really want to move. So keeping fingers crossed that this infection will clear up with meds and he won't have to be sedated. Thank u all for your advice and concern, it means the world to us!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I'm so glad that he has an optimistic outcome! Did they happen to say how he could have torn those tendons? Doesn't seem like it'd be an easy feat for a rat considering how mobile and acrobatic they tend to be >.<

·
Registered
74 Posts
fingers crossed for a speedy recovery for your lil boy! <3

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
That was probably my fault cuz i was bathing him in the sink (its a really deep stainless steel basin) and i took my hands off of him for a second to catch something that was falling (reflex) and he tried to jump out after me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts