Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question,

I'm sure it's a territorial thing, but Jack's gotten into a very bad habit of pawing the furniture (mum's new sofa no less). He doesn't use his claws, but runs around like a madman for brief periods rubbing the palms and soles of his hands and feet all over the sofa. He does it most when Gus is out too, which is why I think it's territorial.

It's funny to watch - he has my sister in hysterics. I will try to get a video when he's REALLY going at it - sometimes these spells will last 5-10 minutes.

Is it territorial? Or perhaps something else?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I see my boys doing something like this in their cages but I always thought they were just rearranging things to their liking.

(or maybe the visual I have right now is not what you are describing)

*waits for the vid

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
That is a territorial thing all right :)

It can get pretty out of hand when a rat is hormonal as well. Are they huffing and puffing too? If they get too aggressive watch your hands for nips.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He gets a bit huffy and is prone to jump on poor Gus when he's not looking, he's not often overly agressive with it though.

Although, he was doing it yesterday and I picked him up (he'd started to chew the sofa!) and he turned and tried to nip me. So I bit him back (NOT hard, just playfully lol. He's hairless - there were no teethmarks left I swear!) and he's still not talking to me. He threw a proper little sulk! The git! Poor little alpha rat got his pride hurt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts