Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently make no-sew hammocks, but I've been thinking about getting a sewing machine to use to make my own that way instead. I'm not looking for anything expensive or crazy, so I've been looking at small handheld or table top ones, but I have no idea what I'm looking at, haha. I only use fleece in my hammocks, so it needs to be able to get through a few layers of fleece.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! :)

·
Registered
870 Posts
I started sewing on a Singer Featherweight straight stitch machine. It was a small table top type and was a great starter machine. My mother's favorite machine was a Pfaff, but she sewed a lot all the time. I presently sew on a Kenmore machine made by Brother. If you just want to sew fleece and get into sewing a little at a time, you could look around at sewing stores in your area where you may find a used less expensive machine that will be perfect for your needs. In sewing for rats, they won't judge your mistakes. In sewing fleece, it stretches so uneven seams that aren't perfectly straight will be generally unnoticed by any but yourself. It could be a great way to enter a new rewarding hobby.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sewing is a hobby of mine, so although I'm no project runway candidate, I have a little bit of experience. You certainly don't need a fancy machine, but you also don't want something so cheap that it is useless after a year, or even earlier. Any machine by brother, singer or janome (my favorite) that is between $100 and $150 would suit your purposes. Make certain that you get a few extra needles, because sewing through multiple layers of padding and fleece and placemats, etc. will work your needles. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I prefer Husqvarna machines since they are typically all metal on the inside, but Singer/Brother seem to have good starter machines that suit basic needs.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the brother jx2517 17 stitch machine. It's a good sewing machine for most projects around the house, and it's very easy to use. It's compact, too! I use it for hammock and tube making. I think it was less than 80 dollars from walmart, too. I'm pretty happy with it for the price.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts