Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was slowly trying to break the ice and convince my mom to let me have rats. When I asked her the question "Why do you let me have hamsters but not rats?" to try and find a way to change her mind, she said "Because rats look like something that belongs in a trap." ;-;

Now I know I won't be able to have rats for at the very least 5 years ;-;

·
Registered
22 Posts
Awww. That's tough! I hope they change their minds over time.

My family originally said rats are ugly and creepy, but I kept showing them the cutest rat photos I could find and images of the rescue litters I was looking at... Finally when I got my rats, I kept inviting my family to come to my room to see the rats sleeping and playing... and now my family thinks rats are cute! ;D

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Show her pictures of rats that aren't ruby/pink eyed,hairless,white,black,or agouti.even though they are cute to rat lovers,most people see them as extra gross or scary (ruby/pink eyed and hairless),lab rats (white even if not albino ),or wild(black and agouti).

·
Registered
124 Posts
Lots of people are more specifically scared of the tail. If you show them pictures show them ones with the tails hidden.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
But please don't get a manx.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But please don't get a manx.
Quick question, what's wrong with getting a manx? I've never heard of them before you mentioned them, but I'm curious as why you don't want me to get one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Show pics of blue rats and blazed rats! My mom hates rats, but even she had to admit that my blue girls were super cute. I get that my red eyed himi girl and mink girls are an acquired taste, but no one has ever told me that my blue rats looked creepy or gross. I teach high schoolers and they squeal whenever I bring up my rats, but they had to admit mine are cute!!! My family still hates rats, but they can at least acknowledge that mine are friendly and make good pets.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Quick question, what's wrong with getting a manx? I've never heard of them before you mentioned them, but I'm curious as why you don't want me to get one.
I just looked up Manx and found out that they have no tail. I think RattieLover965 was responding to my post about how some people are scared of the tails.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Most Manx rats have their tails cut off or people cut the blood circulation off so the tail falls off.Any breeder that does that is not thinking of the rat,but of the money they'll get for what they call a new or rare rat from people who don't do research or don't care.Tails are important.Some are born without a tail but it's rare.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Most Manx rats have their tails cut off or people cut the blood circulation off so the tail falls off.Any breeder that does that is not thinking of the rat,but of the money they'll get for what they call a new or rare rat from people who don't do research or don't care.Tails are important.Some are born without a tail but it's rare.
In my opinion rats with tails look better anyway.I was neutral about the appearance of the tail until I saw a Manx (born a manx).Once I saw a rat without a tail the tails became cute.

·
Registered
994 Posts
True Manx rats do not get their tails cut off, they are born without a tail. Its a genetic deformity, like dumbo ears. Some people might cut the tails so they can label it a Manx and sell it for more money. Either way, I'm against breeding or altering rats in a way that can harm them. Removing the tail of a rat disables them greatly. I have a rat with a crooked tail she is really clumsy. She has hurt her self multiple times by attempting to climb something high and falling off. Rats need their tails.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Oh no! People cut off their tails?? That's horrible! I would never want to support that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts