Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my more than difficult rat Ruby is finding it very difficult to settle indeed, as well as her running at the speed of light and generally jumping like shes competing for the Olympics we tried last night to handle her again.
So we tried what someone recommended on here to keep her for 20 mins in between the layers of my partners top, after un-successfully getting her out of her cage in which she escaped and ran up and into my sofa, in which we spent 15 mins trying to get her out :roll: We then attempted the forced socialization. After 10 minutes he said he could feel biting and nipping and sure enough she'd bitten holes in to his top. After 20 mins we then let her back in her cage in which she jumped immensely to escape again.
Do we keep doing this over and over?? :?
However on a good note, Millie has settled brilliantly, she sits quite happily on my shoulder or rummages around my top in an attempt to get comfy... :D

·
Registered
330 Posts
i had that problem with one of my boys, make sure you take them AWAY from their cage, and from anywere they can hide, (i favour bed) and maybe put one or two crumpled shirts on the bed. and just handle them, put them into your shirt, etc. and because there is no where to hide she will come to you, and will learn that you are her protection.wel thar worked for me anyway

·
Registered
527 Posts
yes, you should continue the forced socialization, as must as she doesn't like it, for at least 20 minutes at time every day ( but you know that already!)
you should try to put her back in the cage when she's calmer/relaxed, and not trying to escape from you. that way she won't learn that she can get to go home just by fidgeting. :wink:
and girls are generally frisky, so maybe ruby is more active than her sister and is more inclined to run around and explore?
and my girls usually nibble while they are in my shirt..i'm fine with it, until they accidentally nip me while trying to untuck my shirt from my pants! :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts