Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Coffee, Bagel, Piper, Sprout, Sonya, And 2 new rats coming soon!
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...I usually free range on the table, but my dad doesn't like that, and told me that instead if I find a playpen that will last me for 5+yrs under $30, he will get it for me! So what playpen do you use? I need suggestions

·
Registered
Fettacchine, Alfredo, Juniper, Figgy Bottoms, Dobby
635 Posts
Go to home depot and get a boxes and tape them together like shadow the rat did. Works great. I taped 5 boxes together and its huge. You can do more or less. I have the medium sized boxes. I included a photo after playtime so it looks very bare...
image.jpg

·
Registered
Rat army: Rheuben, Benji and Moon
15 Posts
I’m not sure if this will help you, but I just free-roam my boys in the bathroom. I ratproofed the areas I didn’t want them getting into (such as behind the toilet) and just leave all their toys in there instead of having to pick everything back up afterwards. I put cardboard strips over the bottoms of the doors. I’ll include some photos

They have a whole room to run around in and plus they get a lot bigger and more permanent things to play in. Currently I have an upside down crate with a type of stairs made out of boxes that they can climb into, plus a wooden Kleenex box and a big rice crispies box. They have a couple woven bags to play in, and a wooden castle. I also made a box tower that had holes to connect each level, so they can climb through the whole thing. My cousin also made me a giant rat city we call ‘New Rattsburg’ out of cardboard. I am also working on a double level popsicle stick house to put in the bathroom too. Sorry about the long description, but if you wanted any ideas, I guess I gave you a couple. If this doesn’t work for you, then I hope you find something that does ;) Best of luck!

·
Registered
My baby PEW girls, Miri and Bean
169 Posts
My dad works at a printing factory so he has access to a ton of large boxes. I free range my rats in a box that was for a fridge or something. It's huge! Since you most likley don't have access to a fridge box, you can do what @ratmom! suggested, the giant cardboard playpen. These are great! The bathroom is also a great idea! Bathrooms are especially nice because they're pretty rat proof to start and the floors are easy to clean if the rats make a mess. Just make sure they can't jump into the toilet or anything!

·
Registered
Coffee, Bagel, Piper, Sprout, Sonya, And 2 new rats coming soon!
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, everyone! I used to do it in the bathroom, but we had a mold problem, and if anyone goes inside, they get sick, and my mom doesn't want me to use the other bathroom :(. But I saw your suggestions and I took 3 science fair boards, cut them in half, and will tape them later today!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts