Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok well my like best friend (star) shes allways been a part of my rats life she was there when i decided to get them, helped me get a cage, and was with me when i got the rats. and now she really wants rats, i love her to bits but i really dont think that she will take proper care of them. she has a short attention span and is a HUGE percrasonator (someone who puts things off).shes really forgetfull and disorganized (well with homework anyway!). shes a sorta "a dogs just for christmas" kinda person, but not on purpous. what should i do. i dont wanna be mean or insulting but i really dont think she would be able to handle a pet.
any help would be appreciated!:D

·
Registered
798 Posts
you could tell her exactly what you just wrote to, i don't consider that mean, and anyway, the truth isn't always nice, your friend will realize that one day or another whether you're the one to let her know or not.

·
Registered
407 Posts
She may not like it, but you can also tell her that it would have been easier for you to say nothing to her, but real friends can SAY anything TO each other and can HEAR anything FROM each other as well.

Also you can tell her that it isnt always about what a person WANTS...soemtimes it has to be MORE about what the animal NEEDS.

Good luck to you

·
Registered
122 Posts
I had a problem with one of my friends,she really wants a rat,but to her,looks come first in a pet,like in my family,but I think all animals are beautiful,I don't want her to get one based on looks,my sister got a beautiful kitten,but it doesn't want to have anything to do with us,unlike this other kitten that clung to us at the store(I wanted her=3)

I think you should tell her,mabe she could get a hamster of a goldfish to start out with,then once she gets to be more about their needs,mabe she can try something a little harder,my first pet was a cat,I didn't like very small things,and I still love big dogs and stuff,but my cat had kittens,and it got really hard to keep up with them,I wanted a fish then(lol)
then we moved,and I got the fish of my dreams,lol!

so just be honest with her=p

·
Registered
798 Posts
i actually disagree, if your friend is the type of person who gets an animal and then gets easily bored with it, it is likely going to wind up in a shelter or between homes, it is not fair for the animal. I would tell her how much responsibilty owning a rat entails, in the hopes that that alone would be enough to disuade her.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Just because most hamsters don't enjoy interaction is no reason to get one for someone to ignore, no animal deserves that. The only animal you can buy and forget is stuffed

·
Registered
162 Posts
I wouldn't recommend any animals for her at this point..

My brother has the same problem with things, and even though I protested this, my mom bought him a 10-gallon aquarium and a bunch of fish. He forgot about them within the first month, so I tried to take care of them as much as possible. When I got back from a visit to my father's for the summer, the tank was gone. I guess he never cleaned it and actually unplugged the light and filter so he could charge his gameboy.. and the tank became filthy and all the fish died. It was horrible. I was so attached to all 15 of those fish. I even named all of them!

Also, I might be the only one.. but ALL of the hamsters I've ever had enjoyed being held and interacted with. I've had a total of six throughout my life, four of which were russian dwarfs. Even if the hamster doesn't like to interact with the person, that's no reason for anyone who might not take proper care of it to get one. Imagine being trapped in a tiny cage covered in your own feces, having no (or little) food or water.. and then eventually dying, having lived a completely miserable and unappreciated life.

I would tell your friend exactly what you've said here. If she isn't ready to pay full attention to any animal and give it the proper love and care it deserves, then she shouldn't have a pet of any sort.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts