Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a female rat that is 29 months old. She lives in her cage with her sister. In the last few weeks or so, her health has rapidly declined. She has 3 tumors (but is too old for surgery.) She seems to be blind and doesn't come to me anymore. She hardly moves actually and just sits there all day in the exact same place. She used to love to go under her hammock or inside the sweat pants in her cage, but now she sits on top because I think she is too weak to crawl inside. She will only eat soft foods that I hand feed her and she's lost a lot of weight. I haven't seen her drink in awhile. Her fur is mostly gone and her eyes have a lot of polyphorin. She isn't grooming herself so her belly gets covered in urine and feces so I bathe her in warm water once a day. She's alive, but doesn't seem to have much left in her. What should I do? Is she in pain? I feel so bad for her.

Her sister also has a tumor (was removed once but grew back) and has a bad leg but is still as spunky as ever.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Going by that description, it honestly sounds like having her put to sleep might be the best option. I know it can be painful (I had to have it done to my oldest girl this week, I understand), but going by her quality of life, I think it might be in her best interest.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I go by whether or not they're eating/drinking. If she seems generally unhappy and just sits there and doesn't drink, it may be time to say goodbye. I'm sorry. :( When I put to sleep one of my rats with a PT tumor it was when I had to start syringe feeding her and then she was resisting. She could barely swallow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts